Thursday, December 29, 2005

Ring-A-Ding-Ding

Our wedding rings, which I ordered last week from Amazon.com, arrived at my office today. Mine fits. I hope to hell his does. At least if it doesn't, there should be plenty of time to return it for another size. I measured his finger by trying to act all cute and comparing my hand to his--like freakin' Goldilocks, "my, what big FINGERS you have!"--and I came to the conclusion his ring finger is roughly the same size as my thumb. I think. I hope. So now, we have rings. And a date (Jan. 21). All we need now is a license and a judge.

This has to have been the slowest-ass week on record. And everyone thinks so. I am amazed at the number of people in the working world who think it's perfectly natural to either take off--or close the whole fucking office--for an entire week after Xmas. What the hell? The clincher was when I called a law firm in D.C. and got a message--"our office will be closed through January 2, 2006." Are you shitting me? Last time I checked, the world didn't come to a screeching halt the day after a major holiday.

Or maybe it did.

El Nino is bored out of his fucking mind, in spite of spending his days alternating between hanging out with Ben (who is hell-bound for leather to make history of those training wheels before the next snow) and hanging out with our neighbors and their 6 year old daughter. Actually, I think Neighbors' Daughter intimidates the hell out of him, because she's older and insists on making sure he's aware of that at all times. Or maybe he could have his first crush on her. Whatever, he's mentioned no fewer than four times this week that he can't wait to go back to "kindergarten." 'Atta boy. I like that attitude. And speaking of attitude, he's been full of it all week long--a result, I think, of being bored as shit and having his routine all jacked up. I can remember feeling the same way during Xmas break when I was a kid. As much as I hated school, it beat sitting at home all day all to hell.

Basically, I'm ready for the week to be over and all this holiday horseshit done with so we can all get on with our lives. I mean, seriously. This Xmas wasn't anything for me to really crow over, and now that it's over, I'm so ready to dive into January and get the show on the road. We're getting married, schedules will be back to normal (for a while, anyway), the mediation in my custody case is on the 12th, and we'll be that much closer to spring.

Hallelujah.

Ben called me this afternoon with the news that his paper is going from a twice-weekly to a weekly. I guess in the journalism world, working for a weekly is regarded about as highly as my liberal arts degree (i.e., not very). I feel really awful for him, especially after all the pissing and moaning I've done since September about his schedule and all. I don't know if he'll stick it out for now, or if he'll try to get on with a different paper. I just want him to be happy.

I'm tired, I have a headache, and I have an hour left to be here. And my fucking monitor has been for the last 2 days popping off and back on again without any apparent cause. I've checked every connection and all seems to be in order. Ugh.

Is it naptime yet?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home