Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Let Us Give Thanks...

DB got arrested yesterday.

I wondered if something was up when I had El Nino call him at 7pm and he didn't answer. He didn't call back, either. Now I know why. I'm not sure what time he got picked up, or when he got out, but he posted bond, appeared in court this afternoon, pled not guilty, and the case was continued to 12/20/05. I don't know the guy representing him, but I know someone who knows "of" him, and according to her, this guy is known for prefering negotiation over trial. Which means, in the legal world, he's a pussy. Works for me.

Monday morning when I was taking El Nino to Miss M's for the day, he said something about wanting M&Ms. I told him if he had a good day and didn't hurt anyone, I'd buy him all the M&Ms he wanted. He had a great day--and I bought him M&Ms. Yesterday I upped the ante and told him if he had a good day and didn't hurt anyone, he could have M&Ms AND stickers. And I bought M&Ms and stickers last night. This morning, it was M&Ms AND stickers AND going to see Chicken Little at "the big movie." Alas, we will not be going to the big movie tonight, nor will we be buying stickers or M&Ms. Two out of three ain't bad, though--right, Meatloaf?

Ben and I took him to the psych office yesterday. What a nuthouse. The lobby was about a quarter the size of my office and wall-to-wall people. El Nino doesn't react well to crowds, especially of strangers, and immediately started bouncing off the walls. I couldn't really blame him because I don't like crowds, either, and I was about to have a fit, myself. We sat there for a half hour before being called back. The NP immediately jumps on the ADHD bandwagon and I had to really restrain myself from telling her to fuck off. After she talked to El Nino individually, however, she expressed with shock and surprize that he actually can follow directions and perhaps the hyperactivity is his way of expressing anxiety. Duh, bitch. So they wrote him a prescription for some medication that is generally used as an anti-hypertensive but is being used in kids to combat hyperactivity, impulsivity and aggression.

I had the NP write the DB a letter explaining that El Nino was seen, what for, what the plan was, and why he needed to take the medication. I'm sure that will go over like the Hindenberg. I did clear it with them that this medication is not such that missing a dose or two will harm him--just in case DB chooses not to give it to him on the grounds "I didn't agree to this."

I'm really worried for El Nino this weekend. I worry that DB is going to feed him full of fun things, like "mommy had me thrown in jail" and the like. I also worry about DB taking out his anger on El Nino, though that doesn't seem to be the case. He's more into guilt-tripping him and mommy-bashing than anything else. There's nothing I can do, short of just flat out refusing to hand him over on Friday--in which case, he'll likely call the cops and tell them I'm refusing to comply with the terms of the protective order and they'll tell me I have to turn him over. Which would suck even more.

It's a no-win situation, really.

I just hope the medication will calm El Nino to the point he's not scared and worried while he's away from me.

The moral of this story?

Never have a child with a psychopath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home