What Day Is This?
I'm so screwed up on my days right now, it's ridiculous.
The weekend was pretty damned good, for a change. It started off Friday with me picking up El Nino and receiving a glowing report from the owner/lead teacher of the school. She said he's moving toward using "good" words to express himself ("I don't like it when you do that") as opposed to calling people stupid. Which is great. Far better than clobbering other kids and adults, to be sure. We went to Margarita's for dinner because he insisted on "tacos and rice," even though I'd just been to Margarita's for lunch with Ben. Then off to the movies to see the highly-touted "Chicken Little," which sucked. When we sat down in the theatre, we were about 3-4 seats away from this mom, grandma and little girl who looked about El Nino's age. She immediately decides she wants to sit by El Nino. So the adults asked me if it was okay, I said whatever, then they asked El Nino, and he said sure. So they sat together and all was well until the movie started and this kid would not shut the fuck up. And El Nino, who knows you go to the movies to ACTUALLY WATCH the movie, kept telling her to be quiet. He wasn't overly nice about it, but he wasn't smacking her in the head and yelling "shut the fuck up," so I didn't worry about it. Finally, the mom gets up and says "come on, we're moving down, because if I hear 'be quiet' one more time..." I almost stood up and asked "you'll what?" But I didn't. I didn't even look their way. I mean, shit, tell your kid to shut the fuck up and there won't be a problem...
Anyway, around 10:15, I was showered and in my pj's and working on my first kahlua & milk, when my friend Kip calls and said they were still at Chip Shot and could she and Natalie come over? Sure, why not. They show up about 10:30 and announce, "we're really drunk." And how. Ten minutes later, I've got two drunk 40 year old women passed out on my dining room floor and no way to get rid of them. I didn't want my son waking up to them passed out on the floor. I also didn't want to wait for Ben to get home and then drive their sorry asses to the middle of nowhere (they both live a stretch away from me). So I did what any responsible, caring friend would do--I called them a cab, walked them to it, and made sure at least one of them was packing a credit card.
Oy.
Saturday the 3 of us tried to go to the "choo-choo train" restaurant at Crown Center--yeah, Crown Center the weekend before Xmas. Riiiiight. It was a noble effort. We ended up driving back up north and having Chinese. It was delicious. Ben went to work, El Nino and I hung out and made soup. Ben came home, we ate, and then sent the boy to the neighbor's house to play with their kid while we went to a Xmas party. Stayed a couple of hours and that was plenty. (You know you're getting old when...) Came home, put the boy to bed, and then played Santa.
Sunday morning, El Nino let us sleep until around 8:30, when he busted in and announced "Santa Clause camed! And he put a owl on top of the Christmas tree!" Yes, an owl. The kid's been asking Santa for an owl for a month (due, I believe, to his recent fascination with Harry Potter movies) and by God, Ben found him one. It was, as anticipated, a hit. Though he was slightly disappointed it wasn't a REAL owl. Not in this lifetime, kid. We went to Ben's parents' house in the afternoon, Ben made chili, he and El Nino went sledding, and aside from El Nino copping the Obligatory Kid on a Major Holiday Attitude, it was a great day. Probably the best Xmas I've had in a long long time.
Then it got ruined by this morning. I had to get up at the ass crack of dawn to take EN to his therapy appointment--an hour earlier than I normally rise--and promptly fell down the stairs when I was going down behind him and he stopped in the middle and I shifted to avoid stepping on his hand. Nice. I'm getting too old to take a fall like that. Then I found out too late that starting my car 20 minutes early was not soon enough to melt all the snow and ice from the weekend, so I had to scrape in my non-season-appropriate shoes, and ended up driving with half a rear windshield. We were 5 minutes late for his appointment, but the therapist was 10 minutes late, so whatever. Then she'd forgotten to write the letter for my lawyer re: her recommendations on DB's phone contact with EN but promised to get it to me today. I delivered EN to "kindergarten," and despite not wanting me to leave, he seemed happy to be there. Stopped for gas and realized my gas tank cover was frozen. FUCK. Finally got to work and get a call from the mediator's office--they want to schedule mediation in the custody case for next week and want me to pay $225 up front, and I'm fucking BROKE. Whatever, I just won't be able to send my piddly payment to my lawyer this month. I'm pissed though, because I see nothing coming of this mediation but a serious waste of my time and money. DB's in full-on confrontation mode now, and I don't see him letting go of his quest for complete domination within the next week and a half.
To top it off, I'm suddenly swamped with work and I have no motivation today. Zero. Zilch.
Tomorrow has to be better, right?
The weekend was pretty damned good, for a change. It started off Friday with me picking up El Nino and receiving a glowing report from the owner/lead teacher of the school. She said he's moving toward using "good" words to express himself ("I don't like it when you do that") as opposed to calling people stupid. Which is great. Far better than clobbering other kids and adults, to be sure. We went to Margarita's for dinner because he insisted on "tacos and rice," even though I'd just been to Margarita's for lunch with Ben. Then off to the movies to see the highly-touted "Chicken Little," which sucked. When we sat down in the theatre, we were about 3-4 seats away from this mom, grandma and little girl who looked about El Nino's age. She immediately decides she wants to sit by El Nino. So the adults asked me if it was okay, I said whatever, then they asked El Nino, and he said sure. So they sat together and all was well until the movie started and this kid would not shut the fuck up. And El Nino, who knows you go to the movies to ACTUALLY WATCH the movie, kept telling her to be quiet. He wasn't overly nice about it, but he wasn't smacking her in the head and yelling "shut the fuck up," so I didn't worry about it. Finally, the mom gets up and says "come on, we're moving down, because if I hear 'be quiet' one more time..." I almost stood up and asked "you'll what?" But I didn't. I didn't even look their way. I mean, shit, tell your kid to shut the fuck up and there won't be a problem...
Anyway, around 10:15, I was showered and in my pj's and working on my first kahlua & milk, when my friend Kip calls and said they were still at Chip Shot and could she and Natalie come over? Sure, why not. They show up about 10:30 and announce, "we're really drunk." And how. Ten minutes later, I've got two drunk 40 year old women passed out on my dining room floor and no way to get rid of them. I didn't want my son waking up to them passed out on the floor. I also didn't want to wait for Ben to get home and then drive their sorry asses to the middle of nowhere (they both live a stretch away from me). So I did what any responsible, caring friend would do--I called them a cab, walked them to it, and made sure at least one of them was packing a credit card.
Oy.
Saturday the 3 of us tried to go to the "choo-choo train" restaurant at Crown Center--yeah, Crown Center the weekend before Xmas. Riiiiight. It was a noble effort. We ended up driving back up north and having Chinese. It was delicious. Ben went to work, El Nino and I hung out and made soup. Ben came home, we ate, and then sent the boy to the neighbor's house to play with their kid while we went to a Xmas party. Stayed a couple of hours and that was plenty. (You know you're getting old when...) Came home, put the boy to bed, and then played Santa.
Sunday morning, El Nino let us sleep until around 8:30, when he busted in and announced "Santa Clause camed! And he put a owl on top of the Christmas tree!" Yes, an owl. The kid's been asking Santa for an owl for a month (due, I believe, to his recent fascination with Harry Potter movies) and by God, Ben found him one. It was, as anticipated, a hit. Though he was slightly disappointed it wasn't a REAL owl. Not in this lifetime, kid. We went to Ben's parents' house in the afternoon, Ben made chili, he and El Nino went sledding, and aside from El Nino copping the Obligatory Kid on a Major Holiday Attitude, it was a great day. Probably the best Xmas I've had in a long long time.
Then it got ruined by this morning. I had to get up at the ass crack of dawn to take EN to his therapy appointment--an hour earlier than I normally rise--and promptly fell down the stairs when I was going down behind him and he stopped in the middle and I shifted to avoid stepping on his hand. Nice. I'm getting too old to take a fall like that. Then I found out too late that starting my car 20 minutes early was not soon enough to melt all the snow and ice from the weekend, so I had to scrape in my non-season-appropriate shoes, and ended up driving with half a rear windshield. We were 5 minutes late for his appointment, but the therapist was 10 minutes late, so whatever. Then she'd forgotten to write the letter for my lawyer re: her recommendations on DB's phone contact with EN but promised to get it to me today. I delivered EN to "kindergarten," and despite not wanting me to leave, he seemed happy to be there. Stopped for gas and realized my gas tank cover was frozen. FUCK. Finally got to work and get a call from the mediator's office--they want to schedule mediation in the custody case for next week and want me to pay $225 up front, and I'm fucking BROKE. Whatever, I just won't be able to send my piddly payment to my lawyer this month. I'm pissed though, because I see nothing coming of this mediation but a serious waste of my time and money. DB's in full-on confrontation mode now, and I don't see him letting go of his quest for complete domination within the next week and a half.
To top it off, I'm suddenly swamped with work and I have no motivation today. Zero. Zilch.
Tomorrow has to be better, right?

1 Comments:
yes, a week early because he'll be with the DB this weekend. which sucks. but at least WE got the white christmas, heh.
Post a Comment
<< Home