Thursday, November 01, 2007

Pass the Geritol

Last night I downloaded a little Cheap Trick into My New Toy. I was a big fan back in the day, and remembering they were in the area not so long ago, I thought I'd look them up and see if they were coming back any time soon.

All I can say is when did Robin Zander get so damned old? Jesus.

I also downloaded some INXS. Which was, coincidentally, the first band I ever saw live at a large venue (Kemper Arena, 1988--I went with my best friend's boyfriend, who two weeks later was my boyfriend, because I was kind of a slut that way). One of the songs I bought was a favorite cover by said boyfriend's band, and I hadn't heard it in years. Took me back, man. Took me back.

And now I'm feeling very much like Bruce Springsteen whimpering about his stupid Glory Days.

I don't know when it happened, but somewhere along the way, I stopped being an up-and-coming trendsetter (read: underemployed drunk party girl) and got married, had a couple of kids, and bought a house in the burbs. And yes, I'm much happier now than I was in my 20s (not to mention more coherent and financially stable), but I can't help feeling like, in the process, I've become invisible. Just like everybody else.

I guess I haven't totally lost my edge. I'm still underemployed, and once this baby is born, I'm sure I'll be drunk again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home