Nature Vs. Nurture
I woke up yesterday with nothing on my agenda, which is bad, because when my calendar is clear, I feel the need to fill it. So while Ben cleaned out our gutters (he's so cute when he's butch), I cleaned out my car. And did a couple loads of laundry. All of which left me huffing and puffing and short of breath as if I were 8 months pregnant instead of just past two. So I decided I needed to wash my car. And go to the fabric store to find some contraption I've probably just created in my head but is so simple it has to exist. (Some kind of fabric tape I can apply to a curtain, thereby allowing me to cut the curtain in half without causing the cut edges to fray and unravel.) And I decided I wanted company, so I brought Ben with me.
First stop--car wash. I really only wanted to vaccuum the inside, but I didn't have any quarters and there was no attendant to sell me tokens, so I just washed the outside and called it a day. Next stop--fabric store. I wanted to hit the mega-mart fabric store, but Ben talked me into stopping at a smaller local place. Which was full of old women in Halloween applique'd sweaters and stretch pants and one very cranky checkout hag. So after standing in line for way too long, I decided it wasn't worth the $3 worth of scissors I was buying, put them down, and left. Next stop--food. But what? I wanted rice, which brought our favorite wrap place to mind--but they're closed on Sunday. Dammit. So it was Sonic for tots and a bacon cheeseburger.
That was all the fun I could stand for one day, so we went home after we ate. I was gazing longingly at the sofa when Ben reminded me I'd expressed interest in a "nature hike" the day before. (Sigh) Fine. Nature hike, it is. So me, Ben and the dog drove to the nearby Maple Woods Nature Preserve and enjoyed some fresh air. There was even a perfect walking stick leaning up against the bridge at the start of the trail, which I snatched up immediately. And which served me very well as we navigated the hills. (Pant...pant...) When we left, I put the stick back where I found it so some other hopelessly out-of-shape fool could enjoy it, too.
Finally, it was couch time. Which was cut painfully short by the arrival of Pick Up Bob time.
Today I'm exhausted and feeling every day of my "Advanced Maternal Age." I can't believe I'm already in maternity garb. I hear it's normal, but damn--if I'm this big now, what the hell am I going to wear in 6 months? A muumuu?
First stop--car wash. I really only wanted to vaccuum the inside, but I didn't have any quarters and there was no attendant to sell me tokens, so I just washed the outside and called it a day. Next stop--fabric store. I wanted to hit the mega-mart fabric store, but Ben talked me into stopping at a smaller local place. Which was full of old women in Halloween applique'd sweaters and stretch pants and one very cranky checkout hag. So after standing in line for way too long, I decided it wasn't worth the $3 worth of scissors I was buying, put them down, and left. Next stop--food. But what? I wanted rice, which brought our favorite wrap place to mind--but they're closed on Sunday. Dammit. So it was Sonic for tots and a bacon cheeseburger.
That was all the fun I could stand for one day, so we went home after we ate. I was gazing longingly at the sofa when Ben reminded me I'd expressed interest in a "nature hike" the day before. (Sigh) Fine. Nature hike, it is. So me, Ben and the dog drove to the nearby Maple Woods Nature Preserve and enjoyed some fresh air. There was even a perfect walking stick leaning up against the bridge at the start of the trail, which I snatched up immediately. And which served me very well as we navigated the hills. (Pant...pant...) When we left, I put the stick back where I found it so some other hopelessly out-of-shape fool could enjoy it, too.
Finally, it was couch time. Which was cut painfully short by the arrival of Pick Up Bob time.
Today I'm exhausted and feeling every day of my "Advanced Maternal Age." I can't believe I'm already in maternity garb. I hear it's normal, but damn--if I'm this big now, what the hell am I going to wear in 6 months? A muumuu?

2 Comments:
I still have your fabric. No, I haven't forgotten about you. Will get it done soon...
Sounds like a good day you had there. The nature walk sounded lovely.
Post a Comment
<< Home