Friday, September 28, 2007

Corny-copia

There are so many things running around in my head right now, and I can't keep any of them straight. I'd accept that as proof of my condition, but for the fact I'm pretty much like this all the time. It's just getting worse now. Grrreat.

Eye. Am. Sofa. King. Tired. I'm not crashing out at 7pm like I did with Bob, but I think it's just a matter of time. I've been trying to combat exhaustion with exercise--a nice brisk walk around our exceptionally hilly neighborhood, and roller skating last night (it was a workout just to keep from falling at the hands of my uncoordinated child). But the worst part seems to be mid-afternoon, when I could totally fall off at my desk and sleep for hours if no one bothered to wake me up.

Which is part of the reason I'm so glad this is a Bob/db weekend. No guilt over just sitting and doing nothing. No kid up at the asscrack of dawn. No one to entertain.

Of course, I've already filled my weekend with "projects," so the amount of actual sitting and doing nothing I'll accomplish will likely be small. I am determined to get that damn hall bathroom done before Monday morning. I've trimmed out the primer, so it'll need the primer and then a coat or two of paint, plus accessories, and pounding in 6 nails for the picture frames--and it'll be done. Doesn't sound that hard. But for some reason, that painting is sounding like A LOT of work. I don't know why; it only took me about 2 1/2 hours to paint our bedroom, and it's considerably larger.

My other project is bathroom-related. Since I can't find the black and tan striped shower curtain I want (honestly, is that such a bizarre concept? black and tan stripes? come on!), I've decided to pick up the tan curtain at Target ($6 on clearance--it better still be there) and some black fabric paint and...well, I don't know. Maybe something controlled and orderly. Maybe some freehanded floral design. Whatever. I just want Bob to be able to shower in there next week.

The rest of my "projects" for the weekend involve little more than just spending money. I want a new rug for the dining room. I also want a runner for the upstairs hallway (to try to control that "empty-house" echo we've got going on up there). Maybe a set of black (decorative only) towels and a rug for the hall bath. A set of shelves or something for the dining room. I've only got about $100 to blow on this stuff, so "thrifty" is the operative word.

I'm also debating whether or not to put some maternity wear on my Old Navy card. Yes, I'm aware the rabbit just died and the fact my jeans don't button has less to do with Moosebaby and more to do with my late-night Dorito binges. Yes, I'm aware that it's very early in this pregnancy and "something could happen" that would render maternity clothes moot. But, things are on clearance now that I'm going to need. And I can better afford them now than later. And it would be nice to buy some things--like khakis and jeans--that I can wear now and later, since my 2 pair of khakis and other pants I "outgrew" over the summer didn't survive the move. (I don't think they did, anyway--I haven't discovered them anywhere.) Besides, in the event of "something happening," I could always return the stuff for a refund.

Or I could just go naked until I can fit into the clothes in my closet. But that could be a while.

I went skating with Bob last night. Roller, not ice. Ice skating isn't my bag. I don't see how anyone can be expected to glide along a sheet of ice while balancing on what essentially amounts to a ruler. Roller skating, however, is one of the few things I was ever any good at. I could do the limbo (yes, "Chinese" splits on roller skates) and I could skate backwards. I rocked the roller rink, man. Of course, I last rocked the roller rink about 20 years ago, so after I got my skates on last night, I was wondering whether this had been such a good idea after all. (Especially since, before we even left home, the Bob was doing that dumb "rag-doll" thing kids do and ended up falling and hitting his head on the corner of our sofa table, resulting in a very superficial head wound that produced very large amounts of blood.) I may have mentioned I can't take a fall the way I could 20 years ago. So I was very careful. And I didn't fall. And I got my rink-legs back fairly quickly, and even did some backwards-action, which blew the kids' collective minds. Because I'm just that cool.

Bob, on the other hand, is about as gracefull on wheels as he is on foot--i.e., not very. As if that stopped him. He had several friends in attendance, and I was soon left to skate by myself like a big parental dork while he and his friends pretended to play the video games and the air hockey table. He did manage to save a couple skate for me, for which I am eternally grateful.

There was a moment when we were sitting in the concession area, eating our dinner of pizza and nachos, when I got a look at his hand--no longer the chubby stubby hand of a baby, but the bony, veiny hand of the adult he will eventually be. Wow. I hate revelations like that.

Three more hours. Ugh. I want to go home RIGHT NOW and take a nap.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gretchen said...

"Moosebaby" - Bwahahahah!

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home