Grrrrrrrr
Weekends are not supposed to leave you excited to go back to work on Monday morning.
It started Friday evening with my rather foolhardy decision to take Bob to the petstore to get ID tags for the animals. Jesus Christ. The dog would have been easier to handle--at least she would have been on a leash. The kid acted like he'd never been allowed to leave the house before. It was rather reminiscent of that cartoon where the big bulldog wanders calmly down the street, while the obnoxious hyper small dog bounces all over him jabbering uncontrollably. Yeah.
Then, after I got him home and to bed, I noticed water leaking from the ceiling tiles in the downstairs bathroom. Investigation revealed the source--condensation from the coolant supply line of our central air unit. Nothing you can do about condensation, and it's kind of to be expected in 90+ degree weather, so I didn't sweat it (pun intended). Then I noticed it was kind of warm in the house. The thermostat read 80 degrees, even though I had the AC set on 70. Not good. Further investigation revealed chunks of ice forming on the coolant supply line. Meaning either the line has sprung a leak, or it's just freezing up.
Either way, it's fucking hot in my house.
And this puts us in an interesting position. Get it fixed now, and likely turn the damn furnace on a few days later? Or find out what's wrong with it now, get an estimate, and plan to fix it in the spring? Our bank accounts have pretty much made this decision for us. So we'll be suffering through until the heat finally breaks, which is supposed to happen tonight.
So as you might imagine, I've gotten rather pissed every time some tv or radio person says something about "first day of fall." I get really pissed when I go to Target and see sweaters. I don't want to think about cashmere and cotton cable and boots and warm cider when it's 85 fucking degrees in my house and I've got every goddamn fan at full blast so I can attempt to sleep. It's the last fucking week of September, yo--it's not even 90+ degrees in Florida right now. What the fuck??? Stupid midwest.
Add to the mix the fact my husband has been cranky (not that he'll admit it), my kid has taken button-pushing to a whole new level (related, I'm sure, to the move and the new family members and the "newness" of it all), and you're left with one very crabby me, who was very happy to come to work this morning, because it's nice and cold in my office. And I've already warned all my office-mates that it's probably going to get cold in here today, because I'm taking full advantage of the functional AC while I can.
On a happier note, I've lost 3.5 pounds since our move. And this is a good thing, considering I dug the "fall" clothes out and they're all considerably tighter than when I put them away. I attribute my weight loss to the new neighborhood. There are no hills in northtown, where we walked and rode our single-speed bikes with relative ease. Gladstone, however, is a whole other ballgame. Here a hill, there a hill, everywhere a hill-hill. I walked Bob's prescriptions to CVS yesterday, and I've never been so happy to see a pharmacy in all my life. I'm pretty sure it was glowing softly. And they had their sprinklers on, just for me. At any rate, I'm kind of glad for this change of topography, because it makes a walk a real workout.
Speaking of work, that's probably what I should be doing...
It started Friday evening with my rather foolhardy decision to take Bob to the petstore to get ID tags for the animals. Jesus Christ. The dog would have been easier to handle--at least she would have been on a leash. The kid acted like he'd never been allowed to leave the house before. It was rather reminiscent of that cartoon where the big bulldog wanders calmly down the street, while the obnoxious hyper small dog bounces all over him jabbering uncontrollably. Yeah.
Then, after I got him home and to bed, I noticed water leaking from the ceiling tiles in the downstairs bathroom. Investigation revealed the source--condensation from the coolant supply line of our central air unit. Nothing you can do about condensation, and it's kind of to be expected in 90+ degree weather, so I didn't sweat it (pun intended). Then I noticed it was kind of warm in the house. The thermostat read 80 degrees, even though I had the AC set on 70. Not good. Further investigation revealed chunks of ice forming on the coolant supply line. Meaning either the line has sprung a leak, or it's just freezing up.
Either way, it's fucking hot in my house.
And this puts us in an interesting position. Get it fixed now, and likely turn the damn furnace on a few days later? Or find out what's wrong with it now, get an estimate, and plan to fix it in the spring? Our bank accounts have pretty much made this decision for us. So we'll be suffering through until the heat finally breaks, which is supposed to happen tonight.
So as you might imagine, I've gotten rather pissed every time some tv or radio person says something about "first day of fall." I get really pissed when I go to Target and see sweaters. I don't want to think about cashmere and cotton cable and boots and warm cider when it's 85 fucking degrees in my house and I've got every goddamn fan at full blast so I can attempt to sleep. It's the last fucking week of September, yo--it's not even 90+ degrees in Florida right now. What the fuck??? Stupid midwest.
Add to the mix the fact my husband has been cranky (not that he'll admit it), my kid has taken button-pushing to a whole new level (related, I'm sure, to the move and the new family members and the "newness" of it all), and you're left with one very crabby me, who was very happy to come to work this morning, because it's nice and cold in my office. And I've already warned all my office-mates that it's probably going to get cold in here today, because I'm taking full advantage of the functional AC while I can.
On a happier note, I've lost 3.5 pounds since our move. And this is a good thing, considering I dug the "fall" clothes out and they're all considerably tighter than when I put them away. I attribute my weight loss to the new neighborhood. There are no hills in northtown, where we walked and rode our single-speed bikes with relative ease. Gladstone, however, is a whole other ballgame. Here a hill, there a hill, everywhere a hill-hill. I walked Bob's prescriptions to CVS yesterday, and I've never been so happy to see a pharmacy in all my life. I'm pretty sure it was glowing softly. And they had their sprinklers on, just for me. At any rate, I'm kind of glad for this change of topography, because it makes a walk a real workout.
Speaking of work, that's probably what I should be doing...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home