Calling All Lactivists...
...this isn't the blog for you.
My, but Facebook has really started some shit, haven't they?
Their policy against posting photos of women breastfeeding has ruffled many feathers, it seems, and now the mommyblogging community is demanding heads.
It's natural, they say. It's normal, they say. It's a beautiful thing to be celebrated, they say.
Well, I might have my ovaries revoked for saying this, but, as a woman and a mother--I don't want to see your baby hanging off your hooters, either.
You're right--it's a natural, normal thing that should be encouraged and accepted. Yes. So is pooping, and I don't want to see that in public, either. Color me puritanical, call me a prude, call me backwards--just don't expect me to be any more comfortable with you whipping one out to feed junior at our restaurant table than I would be were you to decide to change his pants there.
No, I didn't breastfeed. I know my limitations. Nine months is all the control my spawn are allowed to have over my body. Bob was formula-fed from the word go, and he's none the worse for wear because of it. Better living through chemistry, I always say. (Besides, what's the point of giving your child breastmilk for a year or more and then letting them stuff themselves with Cheetos and hot dogs for the rest of their lives? But I won't stand on that soapbox at the moment.) No, you get nine months of mom rent-free, and then you're on your own, kid. And don't complain, or I'll set you up in your own apartment.
But regardless of my personal baby-feeding choice, I really don't think it's necessary for the general public to have breastfeeding moms shoved down their throats. Thirty years ago, the "down with children" trend was in full swing--children were kept out of restaurants, were sent to daycare almost as soon as the cord was cut, and you certainly didn't see any random boob-feeding going on by light of day. I'm not saying that was necessarily a good, healthy way to regard childrearing by any means, but now we've taken it a bit to the opposite extreme, don't you think? Tell someone you're not a big fan of kids, and judging from their response, you'd think you just ate one. In front of them. Ask someone to please leave little Damien at home, and you'll never see those friends again. Mention your preference that you not have to watch an infant eat his mother while you're trying to eat a nice rare filet, and you're a Pilgrim.
I'm not defending Facebook's policy--don't get me wrong, there are enough naked boobs (and worse) on the web that for them to specify which naked boobs they prohibited was more than slightly absurd--but does the idiotic policy of some stupid internet social site really warrant getting our collective panties in a wad? If you don't agree with Facebook's policies, don't go there. If you're an atheist or gay, don't try to get matched on eharmony. If you think Target is "anti-American," for fuck's sake, don't shop there, because I enjoy it all the more when it's less crowded. Freedom of choice also means freedom to choose and not be blasted out of the water for making that choice.
And by the way, I won't be breastfeeding THIS baby, either. That's right--this baby I'm impregnated with right now. Officially.
My, but Facebook has really started some shit, haven't they?
Their policy against posting photos of women breastfeeding has ruffled many feathers, it seems, and now the mommyblogging community is demanding heads.
It's natural, they say. It's normal, they say. It's a beautiful thing to be celebrated, they say.
Well, I might have my ovaries revoked for saying this, but, as a woman and a mother--I don't want to see your baby hanging off your hooters, either.
You're right--it's a natural, normal thing that should be encouraged and accepted. Yes. So is pooping, and I don't want to see that in public, either. Color me puritanical, call me a prude, call me backwards--just don't expect me to be any more comfortable with you whipping one out to feed junior at our restaurant table than I would be were you to decide to change his pants there.
No, I didn't breastfeed. I know my limitations. Nine months is all the control my spawn are allowed to have over my body. Bob was formula-fed from the word go, and he's none the worse for wear because of it. Better living through chemistry, I always say. (Besides, what's the point of giving your child breastmilk for a year or more and then letting them stuff themselves with Cheetos and hot dogs for the rest of their lives? But I won't stand on that soapbox at the moment.) No, you get nine months of mom rent-free, and then you're on your own, kid. And don't complain, or I'll set you up in your own apartment.
But regardless of my personal baby-feeding choice, I really don't think it's necessary for the general public to have breastfeeding moms shoved down their throats. Thirty years ago, the "down with children" trend was in full swing--children were kept out of restaurants, were sent to daycare almost as soon as the cord was cut, and you certainly didn't see any random boob-feeding going on by light of day. I'm not saying that was necessarily a good, healthy way to regard childrearing by any means, but now we've taken it a bit to the opposite extreme, don't you think? Tell someone you're not a big fan of kids, and judging from their response, you'd think you just ate one. In front of them. Ask someone to please leave little Damien at home, and you'll never see those friends again. Mention your preference that you not have to watch an infant eat his mother while you're trying to eat a nice rare filet, and you're a Pilgrim.
I'm not defending Facebook's policy--don't get me wrong, there are enough naked boobs (and worse) on the web that for them to specify which naked boobs they prohibited was more than slightly absurd--but does the idiotic policy of some stupid internet social site really warrant getting our collective panties in a wad? If you don't agree with Facebook's policies, don't go there. If you're an atheist or gay, don't try to get matched on eharmony. If you think Target is "anti-American," for fuck's sake, don't shop there, because I enjoy it all the more when it's less crowded. Freedom of choice also means freedom to choose and not be blasted out of the water for making that choice.
And by the way, I won't be breastfeeding THIS baby, either. That's right--this baby I'm impregnated with right now. Officially.

8 Comments:
I am currently bf-ing, and not a fan of whipping the girls out in all their glory (ha!) in public. It's a personal preference - I am just not comfortable doing so, and if the baby needs to be fed (usually I time it right, thankfully, so I don't have to feed her while we're out), I will retreat to the car or some other private/semi-private spot.
As for your little note at the bottom...CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Kim
HERE, HERE. AGREE WITH YOU TOTALLY! AND CONGRATULATIONS!
Yeah, congrats...and I definitely look forward to lots of BF pictures on your blog, ha ha.
You know what I find so ironic about Facebook - they ban BF pictures, but the pro-eating disorder sites are still on there. That is just wrong.
That is awesome. Could not agree with you more even if I was you.
And, my favorite part, by all means, if you don't like something, we have choices! Use that right of freedom. Everyone cannot be happy, especially the really cranky, picky, hard to please people that whine about every stupid policy.
And last but not least.... CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!
Fabulous news about the baby - congrats.
I breast fed Zak for 6 or 8 months. As Kim said, however, if I was in public, I did so discretely. draping blanket over my shoulder THEN allowing him to latch on. I have cousins-in-law who just whip out the boob regardless of who's around and it is SO wrong. If it's FB's policy to not post BF pics, and you're upset with it, hell don't patronize FB is all I say!
And I believe I already sent out congrats on the babette to be, but let me send them again, oh and color me envious!
Congrats on the baby! Your thoughts on the matter mirror mine 100%
Yes, it is natural to breastfeed. It ain't natural to show the girls to a bunch of people trying to enjoy their dinner unless you work at a burlesque joint.
Congrats on the official news!
Post a Comment
<< Home