Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Busy Busy Busy

It would seem these days that we're in the business of busy-ness. Yet another reason why I can't wait for this month to be over with.

Tonight I'm taking Bob to his therapist's office after school for his official discharge. I agree closure is good, I just wish we didn't have to obtain closure so damned far away during rush hour.

Tomorrow Bob will go home with db after school for the first of their Wednesday Night Supper Club meetings. Honestly, I think spending 4 hours with an instable douchebag in the middle of the week isn't exactly optimal for a kid who needs stability, but whatever. I'll probably take advantage of the opportunity and have a much-needed leisurely dinner with my husband.

Friday, I'll drop Bob off to the db at 6pm. I'm sure he'll try to weasel his way into getting me to let him have Bob on Monday, since it's a holiday--not this year, pal. Go fuck yourself.

Friday finally marks the day we no longer have to live on $100 (or less) a week. It sounds easy, until you try to buy groceries and gas and medications and doctor's visits and lunch money and shoes with that $100 a week. I always thought we spent way too much on groceries, but for a family of three, we eat a helluva lot of food. Ben and I have subsisted on ramen noodle lunches for the past two months, and I'm almost looking forward to being able to afford Lean Cuisine again.

Speaking of disgusting food, I ate lunch in the "Beep Beep Cafe" with Bob today. (Go Roadrunners.) I had the pizza, which looked eerily similar to the pizza I ate at school 24 years ago. Bob opted for the "super pretzel with cheese sauce," veggies with ranch dressing, and a rice crispy treat. The kids in this district are assigned a 6-digit number that they keep throughout their tenure with the district (K-12), and in the cafeteria, they just grab their food, punch in their number and go. The parents have the option of sending a check to the school or (as I do) pay by credit card on line. On the one hand, this is really freakin' cool--I don't have to worry about having cash to send to school with Bob every day, and he doesn't have to worry about losing his lunch money. On the other hand, there's not much preventing the kid from pigging out every day and eating me below the poverty line. (I think the lunch ladies are pretty good at keeping tabs on the young'uns, but this could get ugly come junior high.) The funny part is the kids don't know their numbers yet, so they all file into the lunch room with their name and number tags around their necks. They look like a bunch of convicts heading for the chow hall.

At any rate, I couldn't get over how grown up Bob seemed. When he saw me, he stayed in line and waved without screaming "Mommy" or running up to me and tossing kids out of his way on route. I was duly impressed. It's amazing what a little structure will do for a kid.

While we were eating, one of the girls from another class (1st grade, maybe?) walked by and gave Bob the "Hi, Bob" treatment, google eyes and all. I believe they know each other from the after-school program, but this little slut was obviously flirting, and it obviously worked on Bob, because he turned six shades of red.

Note to self--remind Bob that girls have cooties and are not to be trusted.

17 more days til we close. Our house is being treated for termites today, as evidenced by the pest control truck parked in the driveway when I did a drive-by after lunch. I've recently realized I've neglected the rest of the house in terms of decor. I think I'm going to paint our bathroom the same color as the brown wall in our bedroom (since I'll have plenty of brown paint). I'm going to pick up some prestretched canvases at the art store this weekend ($3 each, I need 3 of them) to create a headboard. And now I'm contemplating painting the dresser and chest a light taupe.

I can't, however, decide what to do with that godawful bathroom. I think I'll just leave it as is until inspiration strikes. After all, Rome wasn't built in a day, and I doubt Caesar's palace was painted in anything less than a week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daws school district does the same thing. Although they don't have so many options - they do have a chance to buy "treats" - chips, soda, snacks cakes, etc. I put a stop to that BS right away. Luckily the district lets you decide when they can have "extras". At first I said 2x a week but then I had to keep sending checks in so I put a stop to it altogether. Daws barely even finishes what they give him for lunch - no need for him to have an extra! I'm glad the district lets you do that - because like you said they could totally break you!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Builder Mama said...

You had me cracking up with the whole "convicts in the chow line" thing. I can picture it now.

I'm not sure what they do at Monkey Man's school (we find out tomorrow) but I have visions of him eating us out of house and home NOW. Lord help us in middle and high school.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I wish they had that lunch scheme over here in the UK. But then my son would clear out the entire stocks before the second half of the queue even started filling their plates. Maybe the sandwich box can live on for a few more years!

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home