Friday, July 13, 2007

Holy Shit--You Get the Idea.

Here we go again.

After the financing snafu with the old house, I decided to start perusing other options. I've got it in my head already that we're moving, so there's no turning back for me. Plus, Bob starts kindergarten in late August--I don't want him to start at one school and go there for a few months and then move and go to yet another new school. That seems like a lot of upheaval for him at once, and we all know how well Bob handles change (not). If we found something else we liked, and closed on 9/1--I could have Bob start at the new school in August, and we could spend the month of September moving in gradually, and not be out of our rental for good til October 1. This would be even better if Bob were to go to a school with someone from his current class.

Which is why I started perusing listings in the vicinity of Meadowbrook Elementary. A few months ago, I asked Bob's teacher for a list of where his current classmates would go to kindergarten. Meadowbrook seemed to have the greatest number. And I found a listing for a house I don't hate. On a nice, tree-lined, sidewalked street in a neighborhood that looks decent. And it's two minutes from my office.

I drove by this morning and I don't hate it. The pictures show a decent-sized yard and a nice deck. The main-level living room is small, but the entire basement is a "family room" with a fireplace. And it has wood floors. And all the bathrooms are intact.

It's not the grand old house I want, but finding one of those where we want to live and within our budget is next to impossible. And I'm sick of living in Sam Scarfino's house. I want to live in Ben & Mitzi's house. I want doors that shut all the way and doorknobs that don't fall off. I want to paint and tile and fix things. I want to drill holes in walls (or just remove walls). I want my damn dog back, and I want a cat.

I'm hyperventilating. I should stop now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tanaya said...

While the house may not be the one of your dreams, you must keep in mind one word - Equity. Build your own, not Sam Scarfino's. Once you have some equity built up on your non dream house, you can look for the fixer upper dream home. Good luck!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Builder Mama said...

ITA with Tanaya. It took us 2 other houses to get to the point now where we're in the house that finally feels like "home". The others were strictly based on location and resale potential. Sad, but true.

Good luck!

4:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home