My Life In Joke Form
A guy walks in to a bar with a duck on his head. The bartender regards them suspiciously and asks, "can I help you?"
The duck says, "yeah, get this guy off my ass."
I can totally relate.
Bob got sent home this morning around 11:30. This is the first time he's been sent home early for bad behavior since the week before the DFS hotline was called in--meaning, in the time he didn't see db, he never got sent home early. Two days after he spends a weekend with db, he gets sent home early. You do the math. It ain't fucking brain surgery.
Tuesdays are about the worst possible day for Bob to get kicked out of school for the day. I've already come in 2 hours late because I've had to take him to therapy. And Ben seems to save all of his work until the day of the deadline, so his Tuesdays are spent doing the procrastination dance. Suffice to say when I got the call before lunch to get my unruly kid, I knew this was going to seriously fuck up the works.
I called Ben and told him what was up and that I was going to get Bob and bring him back to my office. He's usually good for about 2 hours in my office, max, before things start to get ugly. So Ben said he would see how much he could get finished and let me know if he could come get Bob and take him home.
Around 1:30, Ben let me know he was at a stopping point and that he would come fetch Bob. He suggested an hour of "chair" time and then Bob would be released to play in his room. I suggested 15 minutes of chair time. Ben countered with 30 and reminded me "he's done longer." I countered with 15 and reminded him "and it hasn't been effective, has it?" That's when he got pissy.
Oh, but he apologized an hour later, so I'm just supposed to get over it.
When I got home, he was still pissy. Not overtly, he just had that underlying snitty attitude, and I could tell he was obviously irritated because of Bob's behavior, db's part in it, the argument with me, having to pick Bob up early, etc. etc. ad nauseum--same as me.
But goddammit, I am sick to fucking DEATH of this male attitude that if a kid is in trouble, everyone has to act like they hate said kid until said kid redeems his/herself. I am SICK of the male attitude that the best form of discipline is the one their own fathers used--the good ol' "show 'em who's boss" method. The message that "the bigger the punishment, the bigger the impact." Every woman knows what a load of crap that is. But try to tell them that, and suddenly you're the enemy because you're stepping on their toes. You're undermining their authority. You're a softy. You're not hard enough on that kid, and that's why he's such a pain in the ass.
Fuck you.
I am so fucking tired of trying to keep everyone fucking happy. Keep the kid happy. Keep the husband happy. Keep the worthless psychotic asshole ex happy. Keep the lawyers happy. Keep the judges happy. Keep the therapists happy. Keep the boss happy. And no one seems to give two fucking shits about keeping my happy ass happy.
All I can say is I'm glad he's out running right now. I'm glad he's going to work tonight (probably, since he's pissed at me, right after he showers). And I'm glad I'm getting the fuck outta Dodge for a few days come Thursday.
The duck says, "yeah, get this guy off my ass."
I can totally relate.
Bob got sent home this morning around 11:30. This is the first time he's been sent home early for bad behavior since the week before the DFS hotline was called in--meaning, in the time he didn't see db, he never got sent home early. Two days after he spends a weekend with db, he gets sent home early. You do the math. It ain't fucking brain surgery.
Tuesdays are about the worst possible day for Bob to get kicked out of school for the day. I've already come in 2 hours late because I've had to take him to therapy. And Ben seems to save all of his work until the day of the deadline, so his Tuesdays are spent doing the procrastination dance. Suffice to say when I got the call before lunch to get my unruly kid, I knew this was going to seriously fuck up the works.
I called Ben and told him what was up and that I was going to get Bob and bring him back to my office. He's usually good for about 2 hours in my office, max, before things start to get ugly. So Ben said he would see how much he could get finished and let me know if he could come get Bob and take him home.
Around 1:30, Ben let me know he was at a stopping point and that he would come fetch Bob. He suggested an hour of "chair" time and then Bob would be released to play in his room. I suggested 15 minutes of chair time. Ben countered with 30 and reminded me "he's done longer." I countered with 15 and reminded him "and it hasn't been effective, has it?" That's when he got pissy.
Oh, but he apologized an hour later, so I'm just supposed to get over it.
When I got home, he was still pissy. Not overtly, he just had that underlying snitty attitude, and I could tell he was obviously irritated because of Bob's behavior, db's part in it, the argument with me, having to pick Bob up early, etc. etc. ad nauseum--same as me.
But goddammit, I am sick to fucking DEATH of this male attitude that if a kid is in trouble, everyone has to act like they hate said kid until said kid redeems his/herself. I am SICK of the male attitude that the best form of discipline is the one their own fathers used--the good ol' "show 'em who's boss" method. The message that "the bigger the punishment, the bigger the impact." Every woman knows what a load of crap that is. But try to tell them that, and suddenly you're the enemy because you're stepping on their toes. You're undermining their authority. You're a softy. You're not hard enough on that kid, and that's why he's such a pain in the ass.
Fuck you.
I am so fucking tired of trying to keep everyone fucking happy. Keep the kid happy. Keep the husband happy. Keep the worthless psychotic asshole ex happy. Keep the lawyers happy. Keep the judges happy. Keep the therapists happy. Keep the boss happy. And no one seems to give two fucking shits about keeping my happy ass happy.
All I can say is I'm glad he's out running right now. I'm glad he's going to work tonight (probably, since he's pissed at me, right after he showers). And I'm glad I'm getting the fuck outta Dodge for a few days come Thursday.

2 Comments:
Stand your ground Mitzi! Nobody knows YOUR kid like you. Lori
Where ya going on Thursday??
Post a Comment
<< Home