Monday Falls On a Tuesday This Week
The Good News: my head (specifically, my sinuses) appear to be releasing their vice grip on me. I'm not dizzy today. And I haven't taken any Sudafed yet this morning. Even without the Antibiotics I Can't Afford prescribed by Dr. You're Nuts on Friday. Ha!
The Bad News: it's looking more and more like sheer impossibility that we can buy this house. Even if we got them to accept our total low-ball of an offer, it's doubtful we could make the monthly payments, which keep increasing exponentially as we run into hurdle after hurdle. Ben's income prevents him from qualifying for much of a loan. My not-quite-4-year-old bankruptcy prevents me from even being considered for a loan, even if he's the primary borrower and I'm just a source of additional income (which seems to be the story of our financial lives so far). Because he's a first-time home buyer, the lender wants proof of at least $2500 in his bank account as "reserves." As if. I'm not a first-time buyer, but like I said, I'm persona non grata to the lending industry.
I'm not all that broken up about it. Within the next year, we can (hopefully) put some money into savings so we'll have their fucking "reserves" the next time around. And now that we know specifically what we're dealing with, we can work toward that end. And while it would have been nice to stay in the neighborhood, I can't say it would be a tragedy to move elsewhere. I mean, I'm not all that thrilled with what I see of the high school, and the good neighborhoods (like the one we're in now) are full of old people--what happens when they all die and their kids start looking to turn fast profits on the houses?
Now I just need to figure out how to get this car dealership off my ass. Now that I've discovered fixing the A/C in the ol' Honda will cost me upwards of $750 in parts alone, I'm not sure whether we should keep it and pay out the ass to repair the A/C, or keep Ben's car and trade in the Honda. The Honda is worth about $5000 more (trade-in value), and it's a miserable bitch to drive in August without A/C. But Ben's car is at the top of the Most Likely to Explode Without Warning list. It's a quandary.
The Bad News: it's looking more and more like sheer impossibility that we can buy this house. Even if we got them to accept our total low-ball of an offer, it's doubtful we could make the monthly payments, which keep increasing exponentially as we run into hurdle after hurdle. Ben's income prevents him from qualifying for much of a loan. My not-quite-4-year-old bankruptcy prevents me from even being considered for a loan, even if he's the primary borrower and I'm just a source of additional income (which seems to be the story of our financial lives so far). Because he's a first-time home buyer, the lender wants proof of at least $2500 in his bank account as "reserves." As if. I'm not a first-time buyer, but like I said, I'm persona non grata to the lending industry.
I'm not all that broken up about it. Within the next year, we can (hopefully) put some money into savings so we'll have their fucking "reserves" the next time around. And now that we know specifically what we're dealing with, we can work toward that end. And while it would have been nice to stay in the neighborhood, I can't say it would be a tragedy to move elsewhere. I mean, I'm not all that thrilled with what I see of the high school, and the good neighborhoods (like the one we're in now) are full of old people--what happens when they all die and their kids start looking to turn fast profits on the houses?
Now I just need to figure out how to get this car dealership off my ass. Now that I've discovered fixing the A/C in the ol' Honda will cost me upwards of $750 in parts alone, I'm not sure whether we should keep it and pay out the ass to repair the A/C, or keep Ben's car and trade in the Honda. The Honda is worth about $5000 more (trade-in value), and it's a miserable bitch to drive in August without A/C. But Ben's car is at the top of the Most Likely to Explode Without Warning list. It's a quandary.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home