Planes, Pains and Automobiles
I got to talk to Bob on the phone this afternoon. He informed me that I was wrong--they do have food and drinks on airplanes. But I was right about there not being any movies.
Glad to know I'm not completely stupid.
Saturday, I got my hair cut, and when she said "I think we're going to have to take a little more off the top to lighten it up, or else you're going to look like a mushroom-head," I didn't even flinch. Take it off. Take it all off. Shave my head. Fuck it, take the whole head and give me a new one.
The end result is a cut shorter than I've had since that fateful day at the Regis in Omaha back in '92. All traces of old dye jobs are gone, so it's my natural color. And the cut allows me to make full use of my natural curl. It's a style some might describe as "sassy." It's taking some adjusting, but I think I like it.
What better to do after dramatically altering one's appearance than drive to one's home town and get drunk with one's mother? Since her birthday was last week, and we weren't able to attend her birthday dinner because of the effing snow, I took her to The Best Mexican Restaurant Ever (I swear) where we ordered a pitcher of strawberry margaritas. Damn, can that woman suck 'em down. She was drinking them like they were Kool-Aid. I think she had four to my one, and I was catching a bit of a buzz by the time we left.
What better to do after getting shitfaced with your mother than go to Target?!? We stopped at the Starbucks on the way in--I needed a pick-me-up, and her eyes were like road maps, so I thought she could use some Joe, too. I talked her into not buying Bob his weight in candy for Valentine's Day, bought myself a new hairdryer (you should do that when your old one starts to smell like a campfire) and picked up a new comforter/sheet set for Bob on clearance (thanks, Mom).
Sunday, Ben and I drove back up north for a get-together hosted by my brother and sister-in-law. They bought a house recently and, I guess, wanted to show it off. I was impressed. It needs A LOT of cosmetics (the previous owners had a real affinity for floral border and really loud colors and wood paneling), but it's spacious and big and has a fenced yard and a garage and a finished basement. I'm jealous.
And Bob is back. I called the school around 10 this morning and talked to his main teacher. She said she heard him come in this morning with db, and it sounded like db was having a really rough go of it. Bob wasn't pleased. He was kicking and hitting db and refusing to take off his coat. So the teacher got Bob settled down and told him he could take a nap if he was tired. Db told her their flight was delayed and they weren't back until after midnight--meaning Bob probably didn't sleep at all. Great. So he fought it, but after sitting in the teacher's lap for a few minutes, and her reassurance that lots of "her friends" take naps when they're tired, he crashed out hard in the nap room. This afternoon he asked her if he could call me, so I got to talk to him. He sounded tired, but good, and the teacher said he'd been just fine since he woke up.
It's now been over 6 weeks since I quit smoking. I don't know if it's the lack of nicotine, the fact I'm trying to diet and am not seeing any real results, the fact it's winter, the stress of having db still alive and breathing and being a pain in my ass, worrying over Bob, or all of the above, but I've been a bitch on wheels these days. I just feel like I'm in a perpetual bad mood and I can't shake it. I'm edgy as hell, and the only time I feel "relaxed" is, oddly enough, when I'm exercising. Sitting on the couch in the evening "unwinding" only winds me up even more, and it's nearly impossible for me to get comfortable in bed at night. I feel like the Princess dealing with the ever-present pea.
Maybe I should start drinking more wine...
Glad to know I'm not completely stupid.
Saturday, I got my hair cut, and when she said "I think we're going to have to take a little more off the top to lighten it up, or else you're going to look like a mushroom-head," I didn't even flinch. Take it off. Take it all off. Shave my head. Fuck it, take the whole head and give me a new one.
The end result is a cut shorter than I've had since that fateful day at the Regis in Omaha back in '92. All traces of old dye jobs are gone, so it's my natural color. And the cut allows me to make full use of my natural curl. It's a style some might describe as "sassy." It's taking some adjusting, but I think I like it.
What better to do after dramatically altering one's appearance than drive to one's home town and get drunk with one's mother? Since her birthday was last week, and we weren't able to attend her birthday dinner because of the effing snow, I took her to The Best Mexican Restaurant Ever (I swear) where we ordered a pitcher of strawberry margaritas. Damn, can that woman suck 'em down. She was drinking them like they were Kool-Aid. I think she had four to my one, and I was catching a bit of a buzz by the time we left.
What better to do after getting shitfaced with your mother than go to Target?!? We stopped at the Starbucks on the way in--I needed a pick-me-up, and her eyes were like road maps, so I thought she could use some Joe, too. I talked her into not buying Bob his weight in candy for Valentine's Day, bought myself a new hairdryer (you should do that when your old one starts to smell like a campfire) and picked up a new comforter/sheet set for Bob on clearance (thanks, Mom).
Sunday, Ben and I drove back up north for a get-together hosted by my brother and sister-in-law. They bought a house recently and, I guess, wanted to show it off. I was impressed. It needs A LOT of cosmetics (the previous owners had a real affinity for floral border and really loud colors and wood paneling), but it's spacious and big and has a fenced yard and a garage and a finished basement. I'm jealous.
And Bob is back. I called the school around 10 this morning and talked to his main teacher. She said she heard him come in this morning with db, and it sounded like db was having a really rough go of it. Bob wasn't pleased. He was kicking and hitting db and refusing to take off his coat. So the teacher got Bob settled down and told him he could take a nap if he was tired. Db told her their flight was delayed and they weren't back until after midnight--meaning Bob probably didn't sleep at all. Great. So he fought it, but after sitting in the teacher's lap for a few minutes, and her reassurance that lots of "her friends" take naps when they're tired, he crashed out hard in the nap room. This afternoon he asked her if he could call me, so I got to talk to him. He sounded tired, but good, and the teacher said he'd been just fine since he woke up.
It's now been over 6 weeks since I quit smoking. I don't know if it's the lack of nicotine, the fact I'm trying to diet and am not seeing any real results, the fact it's winter, the stress of having db still alive and breathing and being a pain in my ass, worrying over Bob, or all of the above, but I've been a bitch on wheels these days. I just feel like I'm in a perpetual bad mood and I can't shake it. I'm edgy as hell, and the only time I feel "relaxed" is, oddly enough, when I'm exercising. Sitting on the couch in the evening "unwinding" only winds me up even more, and it's nearly impossible for me to get comfortable in bed at night. I feel like the Princess dealing with the ever-present pea.
Maybe I should start drinking more wine...

2 Comments:
I'm glad that Bob made it back safely. Too bad db couldn't have been lost like luggage. Oh, well...we can hope, can't we? LOL
I need to get my ass to the salon and do something with this mop of mine.
Campfire? I thought it was just me smelling that? I guess it's time for a new dryer for me,too.
Wine is good. Bob being back must be even better.
Glad he came back relatively unscathed and was able to take a nap.
And six weeks with no smoking? WTG!
Post a Comment
<< Home