Come Monday...
Monday afternoon, we have an appointment with a new psychiatrist.
(Rolling eyes as if to say "here we go again.")
Around the first week of April, Bob started to cycle back into apeshit mode. Around the same time, I noticed he was digging at his face again, and upon a little investigating, I came to find out he was taking more than 15mg a day over the highest recommended dose--so I cut him back to that highest recommended dose, and he stopped digging at his face, but he continued in apeshit mode, and it kept getting worse. We had a standing follow-up appointment with Dr. Useless in mid-April, at which time, I expressed my concerns that Risperdal had never been an effective mood stabilizer and we needed to try a different approach.
So what did Dr. Useless do? Up one dose, decrease the other.
(Insert eye roll here, as if to say "Jesus tits.")
Two days later, he took "apeshit" to a level not seen since...well, exactly a year prior. And I called Dr. Useless' office and read one of his staff the riot act a'la Shirley MacLaine in Terms of Endearment ("Give my daughter the shotttttttt!") and demanded that Dr. Useless call me asap with a better recommendation than "what do you want to do?" (Which was his brilliant query to me last year a week before Bob was admitted.) Dr. Useless called me back less than 20 minutes later (the rant was that good) and suggested we re-try Abilify.
As of last Friday, he'd been on it for a week, and it seemed to have turned him around. Then he went to db's for the weekend. Did he get the drugs? He says he did. But then, he'd say he was shitting bananas if db told him saying otherwise would cause Mean Mommy to have db thrown in jail. And this week? Not so good. He's not bouncing off the walls anymore, but he's still irritable as hell and mean as a snake.
So...we're close, but no cigar. And I'm done with Dr. Useless, because his next move (as I know from experience) will be to shrug his shoulders and ask me what I want to do.
Yeah--I want to talk to someone who knows what the fuck he's doing. That's what I want to do.
So at the beginning of this foray into CrazyTown, I spent a day googling various and sundry medications for treatment of bipolar mania, their side effects and use in children. And in doing so I came across a psych group I'd not heard of before, with an office conveniently located in our suburb, and five shrinks well-versed in mood and behavior disorders in children.
How did I miss these people before?
At any rate, we're going there Monday afternoon, and I'm hoping they can shed some new light on the situation. They come highly recommended by Bob's therapist, and after all, they can't be much worse than Dr. Useless. Or any of the other crackpots we've seen over the past 4 years.
Cross everything.
(Rolling eyes as if to say "here we go again.")
Around the first week of April, Bob started to cycle back into apeshit mode. Around the same time, I noticed he was digging at his face again, and upon a little investigating, I came to find out he was taking more than 15mg a day over the highest recommended dose--so I cut him back to that highest recommended dose, and he stopped digging at his face, but he continued in apeshit mode, and it kept getting worse. We had a standing follow-up appointment with Dr. Useless in mid-April, at which time, I expressed my concerns that Risperdal had never been an effective mood stabilizer and we needed to try a different approach.
So what did Dr. Useless do? Up one dose, decrease the other.
(Insert eye roll here, as if to say "Jesus tits.")
Two days later, he took "apeshit" to a level not seen since...well, exactly a year prior. And I called Dr. Useless' office and read one of his staff the riot act a'la Shirley MacLaine in Terms of Endearment ("Give my daughter the shotttttttt!") and demanded that Dr. Useless call me asap with a better recommendation than "what do you want to do?" (Which was his brilliant query to me last year a week before Bob was admitted.) Dr. Useless called me back less than 20 minutes later (the rant was that good) and suggested we re-try Abilify.
As of last Friday, he'd been on it for a week, and it seemed to have turned him around. Then he went to db's for the weekend. Did he get the drugs? He says he did. But then, he'd say he was shitting bananas if db told him saying otherwise would cause Mean Mommy to have db thrown in jail. And this week? Not so good. He's not bouncing off the walls anymore, but he's still irritable as hell and mean as a snake.
So...we're close, but no cigar. And I'm done with Dr. Useless, because his next move (as I know from experience) will be to shrug his shoulders and ask me what I want to do.
Yeah--I want to talk to someone who knows what the fuck he's doing. That's what I want to do.
So at the beginning of this foray into CrazyTown, I spent a day googling various and sundry medications for treatment of bipolar mania, their side effects and use in children. And in doing so I came across a psych group I'd not heard of before, with an office conveniently located in our suburb, and five shrinks well-versed in mood and behavior disorders in children.
How did I miss these people before?
At any rate, we're going there Monday afternoon, and I'm hoping they can shed some new light on the situation. They come highly recommended by Bob's therapist, and after all, they can't be much worse than Dr. Useless. Or any of the other crackpots we've seen over the past 4 years.
Cross everything.

2 Comments:
I really don't know what to say, other than you just have to keep searching for the right answer. This place you just found sounds encouraging and I hope it works out. The biggest problem is, Bob gets his meds when he is with you but when he goes to db he probably doesn't get them. What a roller coaster for poor Bob and the rest of you.
Good luck at the new drs this afternoon.
Post a Comment
<< Home