Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dammit...It's Happening

Against my better judgment...in spite of all my efforts...

I'm starting to feel festive.

But I STILL insist the Christmas season doesn't begin until Santa rides through NYC in the Macy's parade on Turkey Day morning. And anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is a fink and a liar. And most likely a retailer.

I think it happened when I took Moosebaby out today to look for stuff. We went to Home Depot (my now 2nd favorite store, right behind Target) and they have a whole forest's worth of trees in the lawn and garden section. We walked through them like Goldilocks and the baby bear. I even picked up a coil of blue spruce garland and smelled it before taking MB back inside to price MDF and casters.

(Yes, the infamous Cabinet Project. I have not given up. I have, however, determined it will cost me roughly $170 all told to build the two custom cabinets to my specifications. Since every spare cent I have for the next month is sucked into the Toy Fund, the cabinets will have to wait.)

Or maybe it started last night, when I finally got Ben to pull the big ass wad of fiberglass insulation out of the chimney so I could light the fire. (Our fireplace damper is MIA, so over the summer, Ben shoved the insulation up there to prevent our cooling the outdoors. He refused to let me light the gas log until I came up with a way to prevent all of our warm air from being sucked up the chimney when the fireplace was not in use, so there is now a big ass piece of cardboard stuck between the gate and the fire box. It's ever so fashionable. Look for similar decorating tips on HGTV!)

Or maybe it was this:
Yes, the first official Family Photos have arrived!

Notice how one child appears to have lost all his dental work to an Ultimate Fighter. Also note how the other child doesn't seem at all happy to be there, and it's not because his mom is grabbing his junk--thanks to teething issues, my normally-happy baby woke up that morning with a fever and not in any mood to smile.

What you won't notice are the buttons on mom's shirt being pulled to their absolute limits, or the fuss dad put up when he was told we'd all be wearing red tops and khaki bottoms.

Let the festivities begin!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Love the picture! :)

3:15 AM  
Blogger MarciaAnn said...

I have this "rule" that no one is allowed to sing christmas songs until the week before christmas ... I can't stand it that the store pump out the christmas songs the day after Halloween. To my chagrin, I find myself singing along and feeling happy with singing the songs, I wonder it Big Brother is piping in the songs to all public locations with musak capabilities to try to avoid a mass riot by thinking that if we all start singing carols that bring us back to happier times we won't realize that the sales they retailers are offering aren't really great sales at all, just a lame attempt to get us to fund the retailers bail out as well as the banks!

I love the picture, it's nice to see the family together and you may not like how you appear but I think you're beautiful, you and your little family there. Good luck with the cabinets!

PS .. my word verificatino is dogious ... lol

8:05 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Smashing piccie! I think you look lovely :0)

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE your cute sassy haircut!

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home