No Idle Hands Here
Isn't there some old saying, something about idle hands making the devil's work or something equally asinine? If there's any truth to it, the devil may as well steer clear of the Green house. Fo sho.
It started this morning with the whole famn damily walking to the Gladfest parade. ("Gladfest" is our little suburb's idea of a "fall festival"--it's actually not a bad gig, but they completely bend you over with the price of carnival ride tickets and crap. The parade, at least, is free.)
After we got home, I decided to try my luck at the closest thrift store for vampire-ish attire for Bob. I was hopeful but not optimistic, as I've been hoping to do this for no more than $18 (because that's what my budget allows) and it seems like anyone with a decent pair of boys' size 7 black pants is awful damn proud of them. So imagine my squeal of delight when I pulled up in front of the thrift store and saw their sign--
All kids clothes 49 cents in September and October!
Hot! Diggity! Damn!
White (albeit stained) button-down shirt--check.
Black "nice" pants (complete with cuffed hem)--check.
Fuzzy and sparkly red sweater (girls') that I will chop into a vest--check.
Black velvet skirt that I will chop into a cape--check.
Red satin ladies' pajama top that will form the cape's lining--check.
I even found him a pair of black loafers for two bucks. Since everything else was so cheap, I figured what the hell.
I also found myself a pair of khakis (Dockers, even) for $4. They're a little higher-waisted than I'd like, but shit, they were four bucks. And it's not like I'm really tucking my shirts in these days.
And then there's my other, secret purchase (also $4). A little red dress--short sleeves, empire waist, very short hemline--of some sort of sparkly material. It's subtle, but definitely glam. Not the sort of thing you'd just wear, but maybe someone bought it for a Christmas party or a Valentine's date or something. I plan to pair it up with some (extremely opaque) black tights, black t-straps and devil horns and wear it for Halloween.
Hee hee.
It started this morning with the whole famn damily walking to the Gladfest parade. ("Gladfest" is our little suburb's idea of a "fall festival"--it's actually not a bad gig, but they completely bend you over with the price of carnival ride tickets and crap. The parade, at least, is free.)
After we got home, I decided to try my luck at the closest thrift store for vampire-ish attire for Bob. I was hopeful but not optimistic, as I've been hoping to do this for no more than $18 (because that's what my budget allows) and it seems like anyone with a decent pair of boys' size 7 black pants is awful damn proud of them. So imagine my squeal of delight when I pulled up in front of the thrift store and saw their sign--
All kids clothes 49 cents in September and October!
Hot! Diggity! Damn!
White (albeit stained) button-down shirt--check.
Black "nice" pants (complete with cuffed hem)--check.
Fuzzy and sparkly red sweater (girls') that I will chop into a vest--check.
Black velvet skirt that I will chop into a cape--check.
Red satin ladies' pajama top that will form the cape's lining--check.
I even found him a pair of black loafers for two bucks. Since everything else was so cheap, I figured what the hell.
I also found myself a pair of khakis (Dockers, even) for $4. They're a little higher-waisted than I'd like, but shit, they were four bucks. And it's not like I'm really tucking my shirts in these days.
And then there's my other, secret purchase (also $4). A little red dress--short sleeves, empire waist, very short hemline--of some sort of sparkly material. It's subtle, but definitely glam. Not the sort of thing you'd just wear, but maybe someone bought it for a Christmas party or a Valentine's date or something. I plan to pair it up with some (extremely opaque) black tights, black t-straps and devil horns and wear it for Halloween.
Hee hee.

2 Comments:
Seems like the vamp's already arrived - before her outfit's on!
It's really nice to hear the smile in your words! Great bargains too!
Post a Comment
<< Home