Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Nesting

I'm doing it. And it may kill us all.

I don't remember doing it with Bob--probably because at that time, there was a baby daddy involved who didn't allow me to have any control over my own damned house.

So maybe I'm just making up for that suppression of instinct.

It started maybe a week ago when I was sitting in Moosebaby's room, in the newly-recovered glider (thanks to Gretchen), and thinking, "it would be nice to have some sort of table right here...something upon which to set a bottle or a highball glass." Something not unlike...a nightstand. Yes, that would be perfect, because then Moosebaby would eventually have a nightstand when he graduated from nursery to Big Kid Room.

But because of my inability to hoard things, we don't have any nightstands (in natural maple finish) lying around. Nor do we have any endtables (of similar finish). Or tables of any sort.

We do have one nightstand in our bedroom that is part of my white, cottage-style bedroom suite. I don't like it. But what I want to replace it with is a darker finish, meaning I would also have to replace the white dresser and chest that go with it. So that's out.

I found some options at Target, ranging from $20 to $30, but none of them were exactly what I wanted.

Then I got the Target Sunday ad. And found, mid-way through, the 3-shelf bookcase. In natural maple finish. For $16.

SCORE.

And then I worried. What about Bob? Bob's "bookcase" is a 3-shelf utility cabinet made of white laminated particle board that I picked up from the thrift store before he was born. It's been moved so many times the doors have long been ripped off by careless movers, and it barely contains the massive Bob Memorial Library. Would he feel cheated if the baby got a new bookcase and he didn't? Should I get him the new bookcase and relocate his shitty one to the baby's room (which would hardly sit well with my aesthetics)?

In the end, Target solved my problem by having, on the same shelf, a 5-shelf bookcase, in dark cherry finish (which mostly matches Bob's headboard), on clearance for $20.

Super Score.

In the end I spent $36 on bookcases for a child who can't read (and in fact isn't even born yet) and a child who tends to plaster Spiderman stickers all over everything. Yes, it could probably be categorized as "unnecessary expense." But the 3-shelfer magically completes the room, and when I add some baskets and/or clear plastic storage containers, it will serve us all well. Not to mention Bob was thrilled with his new bedroom furniture, and even sorted through his books to pull out some to pass down to his brother.

This weekend, I'm painting the dining room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home