T-ball, Shin Splints, and Ugliness
GO ASTROS!
They won. Even with Bob on the field. Okay, the kid can't field for shit because he's too busy standing directly on the base (to block the runner) or looking under the base (for bugs) or playing with the dirt around the base. And he can't play catcher for the temptation of that chain link backstop BEGGING to be climbed. So fielding, not his strong suit. But he can run. Shit, he can walk faster than every kid on his team can run. He was 3-3 last night and scored two runs, including the last run of the game. Amazing. And he was very proud of himself. Hell, I was just grateful not to have to haul him off the field mid-game kicking and screaming.
My shins hurt. Bad. People with shin splints should just give up the dream of a morning jog around the park. Because it ain't worth it. Not when one spends the next several days limping around because every step seems to rip tendon from bone.
I don't know if it was the general stress of the t-ball game or if we were both tired or if this is just going to be a primary bone of contention for the rest of our lives, but Ben and I got into it last night. Turns out his Wii cost roughly $500 all told. That's a big ass chunk of change to fritter away on a fucking video game, in my humble non-gamer opinion. His argument--he's an adult, and if he can figure out a way to work it into his budget, he should be able to get it. My argument--he's an adult, and if he can figure out a way to work it into his budget, he should do so AFTER working paying off our debt and buying a house and a decent car into his budget. His counter-argument--that I spend at least $500 a year on clothes. My counter--I don't drop that amount all at once, and I only buy clothes because I have to dress halfway decent for work and I keep going up in size.
It all boils down to the same basic premise--the age difference. He's not even 30 yet. He's never been turned down for credit or a loan. And he's still comfortable living hand to mouth in a rental property because retirement for him is still seemingly a lifetime away. On the other hand, I'm pushing 35. I know the feeling of being a dollar short of homeless and it's not something I ever want to be remotely close to again. The thought of winding up old and broke scares the shit out of me. And 30 years no longer seems like such a long ass time as it did 5 or 10 years ago. I also have a kid for whom I have been solely responsible, which I truly believe hikes the anxiety factor up a few notches.
There's also the fact his parents have taken very, very good care of him throughout his lifetime. And yes, they should be commended for that. But he's therefore never learned the "sink or swim" theory. That your parents aren't always going to be there to catch you when you fall on your ass. (And you may end up eventually having to catch theirs.) I think he truly believes that no matter what bad things may happen to us, there will always be someone to bail us out. Not only do I not want to be the bailee, I don't trust that as a line of defense.
So when I found out about that little $500 going wii, wii, wii all the way down the shitter, words were had. And we broke that old "don't go to bed angry" rule. (Which we always do, because let's face it, if you wait til the argument is resolved to go to bed, you'll be up all damn night.)
Now it's a brand new day, and he's on his way to the state capital for the stupid state track meet. We're no longer fighting. I'm no happier about what I consider a frivolous expenditure. But I don't think there really is a solution that will make everyone satisfied.
I can tell you one thing, though--soon as I drop off that kid to his asshole "father" tomorrow morning, I'm getting a damn pedicure. And I won't feel guilty about it, either.
They won. Even with Bob on the field. Okay, the kid can't field for shit because he's too busy standing directly on the base (to block the runner) or looking under the base (for bugs) or playing with the dirt around the base. And he can't play catcher for the temptation of that chain link backstop BEGGING to be climbed. So fielding, not his strong suit. But he can run. Shit, he can walk faster than every kid on his team can run. He was 3-3 last night and scored two runs, including the last run of the game. Amazing. And he was very proud of himself. Hell, I was just grateful not to have to haul him off the field mid-game kicking and screaming.
My shins hurt. Bad. People with shin splints should just give up the dream of a morning jog around the park. Because it ain't worth it. Not when one spends the next several days limping around because every step seems to rip tendon from bone.
I don't know if it was the general stress of the t-ball game or if we were both tired or if this is just going to be a primary bone of contention for the rest of our lives, but Ben and I got into it last night. Turns out his Wii cost roughly $500 all told. That's a big ass chunk of change to fritter away on a fucking video game, in my humble non-gamer opinion. His argument--he's an adult, and if he can figure out a way to work it into his budget, he should be able to get it. My argument--he's an adult, and if he can figure out a way to work it into his budget, he should do so AFTER working paying off our debt and buying a house and a decent car into his budget. His counter-argument--that I spend at least $500 a year on clothes. My counter--I don't drop that amount all at once, and I only buy clothes because I have to dress halfway decent for work and I keep going up in size.
It all boils down to the same basic premise--the age difference. He's not even 30 yet. He's never been turned down for credit or a loan. And he's still comfortable living hand to mouth in a rental property because retirement for him is still seemingly a lifetime away. On the other hand, I'm pushing 35. I know the feeling of being a dollar short of homeless and it's not something I ever want to be remotely close to again. The thought of winding up old and broke scares the shit out of me. And 30 years no longer seems like such a long ass time as it did 5 or 10 years ago. I also have a kid for whom I have been solely responsible, which I truly believe hikes the anxiety factor up a few notches.
There's also the fact his parents have taken very, very good care of him throughout his lifetime. And yes, they should be commended for that. But he's therefore never learned the "sink or swim" theory. That your parents aren't always going to be there to catch you when you fall on your ass. (And you may end up eventually having to catch theirs.) I think he truly believes that no matter what bad things may happen to us, there will always be someone to bail us out. Not only do I not want to be the bailee, I don't trust that as a line of defense.
So when I found out about that little $500 going wii, wii, wii all the way down the shitter, words were had. And we broke that old "don't go to bed angry" rule. (Which we always do, because let's face it, if you wait til the argument is resolved to go to bed, you'll be up all damn night.)
Now it's a brand new day, and he's on his way to the state capital for the stupid state track meet. We're no longer fighting. I'm no happier about what I consider a frivolous expenditure. But I don't think there really is a solution that will make everyone satisfied.
I can tell you one thing, though--soon as I drop off that kid to his asshole "father" tomorrow morning, I'm getting a damn pedicure. And I won't feel guilty about it, either.

1 Comments:
I agree. Treat the feet! My husband spends $ on things daily (cigarettes (and here in Maine that's 5.74/pack and he's at a pack and half a day, it adds up quickly), beer, other things - though to his credit, he has lessened his drinking by at least 3/4 in the past two weeks and things are Chez Marcia have been much much better!!) Anyway, he would spend $ on those things and not think twice and I would always worry about dropping $6 for a lunch, but I decided that I won't do that any more. And like you, I work in the law field (Legal Secretary for 2 construction attorneys) and my clothing is more a work-related necessity - much like any silly plumbing tool my husband feels he may need. So, within the next 2 weeks, I have decided to treat myself to my FIRST ever pedicure. So to see your want after you drop Bob off, only increases my excitment!!
Have fun and enjoy the indulgment.
Post a Comment
<< Home