Missing Bob
At what point does it stop being "maternal concern" and start being "crazy paranoia?"
I dropped Bob off to db Wednesday evening at 8pm. Apparently, db was planning to leave directly from that meeting point to their camping/canoe trip destination, some 4+ hours away.
It was a very stormy evening, and their route had them driving directly into the heart of thunderstorm/tornado central. Not to mention db is an aggressive driver (he's an aggressive everything, after all) and night blind.
I anticipated trouble reaching Bob this weekend. Db likes to take him to remote locations where cell phone access is sketchy at best. Whether he really can't get service or just uses that as an excuse and turns off his phone to limit my contact with Bob, I don't know. Either way, I have not spoken to Bob since I left him Wednesday night. I called last night, but the call went directly to voicemail, and even though I left a message, there was no return call.
I'm sure they're fine and either having a grand old time, or fine and Bob is bored out of his ever-lovin' mind and driving db nuts.
But I still worry. I still wonder, in the event of an accident, how long would it take for the proper authorities to make contact with me?
I've always tended toward the irrational worry side. My whole life is marked with sleepless nights wherein I lie in bed and dream up the worst possible "what-ifs" and how on earth I will cope should they come to fruition. It's silly, but it's what I do. And I just have an uneasy feeling. A simple "ok" text message from that douchebag would put my fears to rest, but I know better than to expect anything of the sort, even if I request it.
So I wait. And I stew. And I try to enjoy this brief freedom, the freedom that comes with having only one child (and an "easy" one at that--even at 1, he's light years easier to deal with than his older brother), but it's hard, because I can't help but wonder if Bob is okay.
Fuckin' db.
Ben has something planned for me tonight, but he won't tell me what. All I know is it's an outdoor venue, it takes place between approx. 7 and 10pm, it's "out that way" toward his parents' house, and the venue may or may not be toddler-friendly depending on his willingness to sleep among a crowd. I'm confused. And I hate surprises. But since he almost never does anything like this, I'm willing to let him surprise me. Just this once.
I dropped Bob off to db Wednesday evening at 8pm. Apparently, db was planning to leave directly from that meeting point to their camping/canoe trip destination, some 4+ hours away.
It was a very stormy evening, and their route had them driving directly into the heart of thunderstorm/tornado central. Not to mention db is an aggressive driver (he's an aggressive everything, after all) and night blind.
I anticipated trouble reaching Bob this weekend. Db likes to take him to remote locations where cell phone access is sketchy at best. Whether he really can't get service or just uses that as an excuse and turns off his phone to limit my contact with Bob, I don't know. Either way, I have not spoken to Bob since I left him Wednesday night. I called last night, but the call went directly to voicemail, and even though I left a message, there was no return call.
I'm sure they're fine and either having a grand old time, or fine and Bob is bored out of his ever-lovin' mind and driving db nuts.
But I still worry. I still wonder, in the event of an accident, how long would it take for the proper authorities to make contact with me?
I've always tended toward the irrational worry side. My whole life is marked with sleepless nights wherein I lie in bed and dream up the worst possible "what-ifs" and how on earth I will cope should they come to fruition. It's silly, but it's what I do. And I just have an uneasy feeling. A simple "ok" text message from that douchebag would put my fears to rest, but I know better than to expect anything of the sort, even if I request it.
So I wait. And I stew. And I try to enjoy this brief freedom, the freedom that comes with having only one child (and an "easy" one at that--even at 1, he's light years easier to deal with than his older brother), but it's hard, because I can't help but wonder if Bob is okay.
Fuckin' db.
Ben has something planned for me tonight, but he won't tell me what. All I know is it's an outdoor venue, it takes place between approx. 7 and 10pm, it's "out that way" toward his parents' house, and the venue may or may not be toddler-friendly depending on his willingness to sleep among a crowd. I'm confused. And I hate surprises. But since he almost never does anything like this, I'm willing to let him surprise me. Just this once.

1 Comments:
I'll bet Ben got your mind off Bob though with his surprise, didn't he?
About your worriment over Bob? You're a mother and it's what we do. You just go about it a little differently.
Hope you enjoyed Ben's surprise.
Post a Comment
<< Home