Saturday, August 11, 2007

Doggie No-No

So we drove out to BFE today to meet "Debbie."

She's adorable. Silky fur, sweet eyes, gentle demeanor. But she's obviously been horribly mistreated. The foster lady brought her out of their bedroom on a leash--said she's "more relaxed on a leash than off"--and she came out cowering with her tail between her legs and her head down. The whole time we were there, her tail never wagged. She looked like she would have happily melted into the carpet if she could have. She wanted nothing to do with Bob, and the feeling was mutual (he was more interested in their kitten, who they are unfortunately not parting with).

As much as I felt for this dog, I just don't want another animal with baggage. Like I told Ben, I'm at my limit for taking care of small dependent creatures with emotional problems (I won't mention any names, but his initials are Bob). I've had a dog with severe abuse-related problems, and while it's possible for these dogs to improve with LOTS of time and patience, the truth is, they never really go back to what they were before they were broken. Giving up George was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but I still believe it was the best thing I could have done for him. He needed a home where he could be the only child and be loved and doted on and handled with kid gloves, and I found that for him. I think this dog needs the same. And with a rambunctious grade-schooler and (hopefully soon) a baby on the way, we just aren't it. Which is sad, but the foster family will keep her until they find the perfect match for her, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Now I'm inquiring about a 10-month-old golden retriever. She doesn't look like a Debbie, but hopefully Ben (and the rest of us) will find her charming.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to Sutherlands to buy a handsaw. Don't ask.

1 Comments:

Blogger Builder Mama said...

You did the right thing. Adopting dogs with "issues" sometimes seems like the right thing to do, but you're right - they are never normal no matter how much you work with them and love them.

You're scaring me with the handsaw.

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home