Monday, July 23, 2007

I'm In the Wrong Business

When I got knocked up by db, I had a lengthy conversation with my then-employer. At the time, I was working as a medical transcriptionist for an orthopedic practice. The kind of job that really doesn't require any "face time." I cut a deal with them to let me work from home for the first 6 months, and then evaluate the situation. I was hoping to turn it into a long-term gig, so finding adequate childcare never crossed my mind.

Until they screwed me over not four weeks into Bob's life by sending me a letter saying "come back to the office or quit--you have a month to decide." So I used that month to find a new job and write a very bridge-burning resignation letter.

Oh, yeah--and find daycare.

Wow.

I had no idea what I was getting into.

"Sure, we take babies--but we've got a waiting list that spans the next presidential term." "Sure, we take babies, and we've got an opening--but we charge $6,000 a week." "Sure, we take babies, and we have openings, and we're reasonably priced--but we're within walking distance of the beach." (Remember, we live in Missouri.)

So placing Bob where I eventually placed him was a matter of oh-shit-I-start-this-job-in-three-days-and-have-nowhere-for-Bob-to-go.

Knowing that, and knowing what kind of person I am, it shouldn't come as a surprise that I've already started scouting childcare options. And boy howdy, they are EXPENSIVE.

What I don't understand is why the cost of childcare decreases as the child gets older. In my experience, kids are exponentially more difficult to keep track of once they start to walk. Babies just lay there. How does watching a baby just lay there warrant $200 a week???

There oughta be a law, I tell you.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gretchen said...

Hey, you never know, it could be twins...

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wait til you get to summer camps, I feel like I'm paying infant daycare prices again.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Mitzi Green said...

mpps--lucky for us the nkc school district has a summer program. it's about double the regular price for after-school care, but still...

10:19 AM  
Blogger Mayberrys said...

Just hide the baby under your desk. Nobody will know.

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home