Friday, June 29, 2007

Frankie Say Relax

My favorite scene from "Say Anything" is not the part where love-struck Lloyd stands outside Ione Skye's window blaring Peter Gabriel from a boombox. (What, you're surprised?) No, my favorite scene from that movie is the one where Lloyd grabs the over-partied dude by the shoulders and yells at his face, "you must chill! You must! Chill!"

I used to do that to Bob when he was a baby and a toddler. He'd start to fuss about something and I'd get in his face with my best Lloyd Dobler "you must chill!" and his mood would immediately turn from pissy to delighted. He thought that was the funniest thing since Dora and Boots spent an afternoon making silly faces. I still do it to him once in a while, and it still makes him laugh.

The thing is, I've always been the one who must chill. I just haven't figured out how to do so yet. I don't know how to take a deep breath, make a mental note of something, and move on. I obsess.

We're making an offer on The House tonight. I think it's substantial enough that the bank won't think we're totally low-balling them, but it's hard to say at this point. I've also gotten in touch with a contractor who comes highly recommended by a personal friend and business associate, and he's supposed to meet me over there next week to start his estimate.

The fact we're actually moving on this has upped the freak-out level exponentially. For me, at least. ACK!!!! (That's me screaming in KC. Hear it?)

In other news...I have a feeling Bob's about to find himself in the middle of an ugly love triangle at preschool. See, for the last year, Bob has been tight with Hannah. Hannah and Bob are cut from the same rotten-ass cloth. They're both total trouble-seekers and are inseparable. Hannah and Bob both start kindergarten this year--at different schools. Bummer. Hannah's school offers a summer school program for incoming kindergarteners, so she's been there since the end of May. In Hannah's absence, Bob and Blayre have gotten chummy, and according to Blayre's mom, Blayre got very upset the other night during a discussion on marriage because "Bob doesn't love me because he doesn't like princesses!" Which upset was alleviated yesterday when Bob went home with Blayre and her brother after school to play. But today, Hannah's back at preschool for the rest of the summer, so Bob will more than likely dump Blayre like yesterday's news and shatter her world completely.

Little does Blayre know that she doesn't have a chance whether Hannah's there or not. Just last night Bob told me he wants to marry me, and when I pointed out he has to marry a non-relative, like Blayre, he set me straight right quick--"no, I'm going to marry Lexie, she's my girlfriend." (Lexie being the neighbor girl Bob's been crushing on hard for two years now. She's two years older than him and hardly gives him the time. I can't wait til the first time their classes pass in the elementary school hallway--"That's Lexie, she's my girlfriend!" She'll probably file a restraining order.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Builder Mama said...

Hahahahaha - those preschool love triangles are just the best, aren't they? I loved when MM came home one day to tell me about the demise of one boyfriend/girlfriend in his class and he said, "It's just downright tragic." Oh my.

Gooood luck on the house. I saw your pics, it's definitely a great house with tons of potential. I wish I lived closer so I could send my bitch Cat Door over there to fix all the stuff!

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very cute! Daws rarely talks about girls and I used to think he just didn't like them yet (as he kept telling me) but I've recently realized he just smart and doesn't talk about them - to anyone! But everytime I visit his school I find out differently. He has some "girlfriends" just not GIRLfriends. lol

12:58 PM  
Blogger Tanaya said...

Any serious offer will be considered by the bank. It is insane how much it costs in legal and recording fees to repossess a house and property,especially when it needs work. They'll probably jump on it like white on rice. Good luck!

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home