Friday, August 11, 2006

I Want to be a Wal-Mart Greeter

I take that back--I want to work at Target. In any capacity. For the discount. And the reduction in stress by approx. 97.8%.

My predecessor came by the office today. I will never, ever understand people who constantly come back to their old workplaces, long after they stop working there, just to "visit." The only reason I've ever gone back to a former employer is (1) to pick up my last paycheck; (2) to get my personal belongings they wouldn't let me grab as they escorted me from the building; (3) to pick up a friend who still worked there for lunch (and I waited in the lobby); or (4) to drop off a bomb. That's just a joke. I always had my last paycheck mailed to me.

Anyway, she stopped by my office since Bossman's not here and proceeded to start talking about what a fucker he is and how she can't believe I'm still here. I did a little return complaining, mostly just to get her out of my office, but some of the stuff she was saying really bothered me. Like how he always "made" her work late and come in early and work weekends and even come in on her scheduled vacation days. How he never gave her a raise. How he bitched every time she had to leave to pick up a sick kid. How he initially told her she could have "unlimited sick days" and then threw a fit when her kid had to have a tonsillectomy and told her she had 5 sick days, period. How when she gave her notice, he told her he was going to hire someone who could do more than just sit and type. How he rubbed it in her face that her replacement would have an office instead of a shitty desk in a corner.

After listening to all that, I started to wonder if maybe the little voices telling me to start "inactively looking" weren't on to something. Maybe they know something I don't.

Or maybe it's mostly sour grapes on her part. I know I make more money than she does (even if I don't think I make what I'm worth), and I know she's still bitter about the whole office thing. I know she wasn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier, though I'm sure she tried very hard and honestly, he needs an associate, not a paralegal--but I've found a few real bonehead mistakes she made in various things, and I know he was pissed at her a lot for what he considered her gross incompetence.

It just seems strange, because I don't think he has a clue when I'm here and when I'm not. I rarely just take time off for the fuck of it, but I've been out a lot for a few hours here, a few hours there, because of Bob or me being sick or Bob being kicked out of school or court appearances or doctor appointments or what the fuck ever. He's never said a word about me being out too much or at all. Granted, I make up a lot of time if I'm busy and have stuff to do, or I'll take work home with me, but it's never been an issue. And I told him when I started that it was virtually impossible for me to work overtime, and I think in the last year, I've only come in on a weekend because he asked me once or twice.

There are definite advantages and disadvantages to my current situation. I don't know if I should let the opinions of a former employee be added to the disadvantages, because after all, I wouldn't have one kind word to say about my own former boss--hell, I almost referred to him by db's name on more than one occasion just because they were so similar. But then, I don't know anyone who would say anything nice about that asshole, except the fat girl who worked for him before me, and she had a major crush on him and was probably blowing him after hours. Eeeww.

At any rate, I'm not going to be here Monday or Tuesday thanks to my childcare back up falling through on short notice and not having a back up back up, and he doesn't know that yet, and I've been moving piles of shit from my desk to his, so who knows--I may be actively looking come Wednesday if he fires my ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home