Sunday, May 04, 2008

Channeling My Inner Gretchen

I don't own a sewing machine, or even anything closely resembling one (like one of those ancient hand-held "menders" that used to be popular among the Lillian Vernon set). I barely have any sewing needles that (1) I can locate and (2) are suitable for threading and use. But I have this sudden urge to make things. Perhaps it's the fetus stirring up my (deep, very very deep) maternal instinct to nest; perhaps it's just me being cheap. Either way, my lack of sewing machine and complete lack of home ec skills will likely soon result in something disastrously fabulous, or a fabulous disaster.

Mop heads--I mentioned I bought the H2O mop. It came with two microfiber heads. Basically a triangle of microfiber with a drawstring around the edge. I need more than two. I have a surplus of microfiber cloths. I'm thinking some scissors, some elastic, and a few stitches, and I could make my own and skip the $19.95 plus shipping and handling it would cost me to buy two more from Thane. Or I could end up with a bunch of useless scraps of microfiber and a headache.

Placemats--I bought a couple of tablecloths at Target a while back. Nothing special, just your average cotton tablecloths, one in red and one in taupe. They were on clearance for $3 each. That price made me completely forget the other people in my house are complete slobs. So the whole "eating on a tablecloth" business hasn't gone over so well. I'd like to turn them into placemats instead (which are more easily swapped out if they get dirty, and more easily removable should I choose to avoid tempting fate at all). The tablecloths are ample enough the experienced seamstress could likely fashion 8 or more placemats from each, and use the excess for a jaunty contrasting trim. I am not an experienced seamstress but I could probably get 8 total from both cloths. Or I could be out $6 and with a naked table.

Now I'm scared. Gretchen, when are you coming back this way??? Save me from myself.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gretchen said...

Mail them to me - I'll take care of it for you.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home