Saturday, May 24, 2008

And Now A Lighter Post...

Dear VH1 Classic:

Thank you for continuing to make me feel cool, because if I were left to just MTV, I might kill myself. Thank you for bringing me "Pop Up Video" and "Totally Metal" and making me believe, even if only for the briefest of periods, that it's still 1988 and the world is still my proverbial oyster, because Britney Spears is still singing about a big mouse and the biggest musical thorns in my side are NKOTB.

However, may I make a teeny suggestion? Keep your "Classic in Concert" series to classic concerts. Not classic bands playing modern, recent concerts.

Case in point--tonight's broadcast of Motley Crue.

When I happened upon this, I was totally stoked, dude. Because I'm older now and more mature and I can admit I know all the words to "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)" and not feel like less of a person.

Then I noticed the people in the audience were...well, sort of...old. And then I realized Vince Neil was looking rather puffy. (Mick Mars, of course, looks exactly the same. Go figure.) And then I clicked the "info" button and saw the concert was from this year. And then I realized the old people in the audience were actually my age.



But I was still stoked, and I settled in for some kickass hair metal. Because Bret Michaels may be much more doable than Vince Neil these days (long as he keeps the receding hairline under the do-rag, that is), but the Crue kicks Poison's ass any day.

I enjoyed the show, but I was waiting for my favorite Crue tune of all time--Kick Start My Heart. And when I heard the familiar Simulated Engine Noises start, I got all giddy and tingly inside.

That is, until the song started, and Vince Neil started...not singing. That's right, it was like the Muzak version of KSMH, because either Vince couldn't remember the words to his own damn song, or he was too damn tired to bust them out, or he's just spent the past 20 years drinking too much and eating too many Twinkies, because what few lyrics he did manage to spit out were painfully behind the beat of the music.

Good Lord. He ruined it for me.

Even Ozzy remembers the words to his own songs. And Ozzy can barely remember the names of his own children at this point.

So please, VH1 Classic, the next time you show me a classic concert, don't give me the Fat Elvis version. It totally takes away from the "I'm still 15" fantasy.

Thank you for your consideration.

Yours,

Mitzi Green

3 Comments:

Blogger Builder Mama said...

We went to see them in concert 2 years ago when they came here, and all I have to say is I'm not sure what was more entertaining - watching Vince Neil waddle around on stage, or all the "old folks" squeezed into their spandex like it was 1987 all over again. And those old folks are my age, however I decided to skip the spandex. Gah.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I have a feeling that you are in the midst of delivering moosebaby. you havent been here in awhile...and...it is time.

7:14 AM  
Blogger joansy said...

I'm hoping your absence from the blog means good news!

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home