Next...
So our first meeting with the new psych went, for all intents and purposes, well. He listened to me, Bob was responsive to him, and I didn't get the feeling he was dismissing me as just another looney parent who's read too many internet websites. In the end, we decided to discontinue all of Bob's medications (which I already had except for one mood stabilizer that just didn't seem to be working) and start a new one, Abilify. The best part is that he gave us samples for two weeks so we wouldn't have to waste another $50 (or more) on another prescription that is useless, in the event it doesn't work for Bob. (My kitchen drawers contain about $250 worth of meds that are just sitting there waiting for...I don't know, maybe I can sell them at the junior high and at least break even on the investment.)
I must admit, after spending the past almost-three-years sitting in a waiting room for an hour or more, then being rushed through a 15-minute appointment that never amounted to more than asking Bob "are you feeling okay with your medicine?" and then being written more prescriptions for the same ineffective drugs, last night was a refreshing change of pace. And rather than give me a lecture about how Bob will never be okay until mom and dad can get along, he was willing to take my word for it that hell will freeze over before that happens and we all need to get past that pipe dream and act accordingly.
And of course, it's another fucking "snow day" for the school district, so I've sent Bob for another full day of Adventure Club. Which I wasn't too thrilled to do having just started him on a new medication and not yet knowing how he will respond to it. But the vice principal is apparently there, and I've given her the breakdown on the situation, so at least someone is aware.
I know this may or may not be the "magic bullet" I've been searching for, but I hope to hell it's at least close.
I must admit, after spending the past almost-three-years sitting in a waiting room for an hour or more, then being rushed through a 15-minute appointment that never amounted to more than asking Bob "are you feeling okay with your medicine?" and then being written more prescriptions for the same ineffective drugs, last night was a refreshing change of pace. And rather than give me a lecture about how Bob will never be okay until mom and dad can get along, he was willing to take my word for it that hell will freeze over before that happens and we all need to get past that pipe dream and act accordingly.
And of course, it's another fucking "snow day" for the school district, so I've sent Bob for another full day of Adventure Club. Which I wasn't too thrilled to do having just started him on a new medication and not yet knowing how he will respond to it. But the vice principal is apparently there, and I've given her the breakdown on the situation, so at least someone is aware.
I know this may or may not be the "magic bullet" I've been searching for, but I hope to hell it's at least close.

1 Comments:
Some positives is that the therapist apparently listened and heard you. And giving samples before making you pay for the entire rx makes perfect sense. Very hopeful things turn around and Bob has a good day at Adventure Club.
Post a Comment
<< Home