Sunday, February 17, 2008

"$13.98."

A: What is the cost of a pack of blank CDs and a bag of Terra chips; i.e., the price of happiness.

Because, you see, now that I have a pack of blank CDs, I can finally burn Men At Work's Super Hits and rip it to my MP3 player, and listen to Colin croon about Maria and paranoia and vegemite sandwiches. And Terra chips? Well, they're just fucking delicious.

It's been a strange weekend. Friday evening, after we dropped off Bob, we drove to CarMax and checked out the '06 Kia I'd found on their website that morning. Very basic transportation--not even half the bells and whistles my 12 year old Honda Accord is sporting--but with less than 26k miles and still under warranty for under 10 grand, um, yeah--we'll take it. Which is where the wierdness comes into play. I've moaned about my credit woes here before, and the last time I bought a car (in early 2002), it took me about three days to finagle the deal from a financial standpoint, and involved begging my father to co-sign (and, I'm ashamed to say, ended up dropping Dad's credit rating when I got behind on payments). Friday night, the typed in Ben's information, typed in my information, and then 10 minutes later, said "here are your options, which one looks good to you?"

Huh? We have options? Shut up. We settled on a 3 1/2 year loan, keeping our payments under $270 a month. We didn't get the best interest rate, but it was a helluva lot better than I've been offered in the past.

Of course, they weren't willing to offer Ben more than $100 trade-in for his 14 year old Geo--frankly, we were surprised they offered that much--so we ended up driving it home for Ben to try to sell to some sucker, er, I mean "frugal person interested in cheap transportation."

The strange part is, I'm not as in love with it as I thought I'd be. Truthfully, I like my Honda better. My Honda has a sunroof and a moonroof. It has a CD player and a tape deck. (Never mind that the CD player mysteriously shot craps about 6 months ago.) It has cruise control and despite its age still gets pretty bitchin' gas mileage.

Besides, the Kia is dangerous for me to drive. It's got just a little too much power. If I were to drive it with any regularity, I'd either wreck it or wreck my bank account taking care of speeding tickets.

Yesterday, my parents came down to help me paint Moosebaby's bedroom. The room has been what I lovingly refer to as "baby shit yellow," and my plan was white with a wide blue band across the center. I got out my nearly full gallon of Kilz and my dad scoffed. "Nah, it'll cover." Uh-huh. Okay, Dad. Whatever you say.

If you suspect we went through the entire gallon of white paint and could still use a 4th coat on the bottom half of the walls, you are correct. But whatever, because the little shit will probably just end up drawing all over the walls anyway. So today I taped off the mid-section and am currently waiting for the first coat of Mediterranean Blue to dry.

And I got to talk to Bob on the phone last night. He sounded in good spirits, which is always good for me to hear.

I should really go apply Coat #2 and then maybe go to the gym and, I don't know, do something. Or I could take a nap. Decisions, decisions...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home