Friday, March 02, 2007

O, What a Tangled Web We Weave...

I got a dbmail yesterday afternoon that asked, among other stupid things, "why haven't I been getting phone contact as stated in the court order?" I rolled my eyes and typed out, "You talked to him on the phone Tuesday evening. You will talk to him again tonight (Thursday) on the phone. You are getting phone contact." Then I told Ben about it when I got home and we laughed.

I went to the gym just before 7, leaving my phone behind and giving Bob specific instructions that he was to call db before bathtime if I wasn't home by then. After I returned, and Bob was in the tub, Ben pulled me into our bedroom.

"I don't think he really called his dad. He said he called, and he had the phone up to his ear, but he'd like, watch tv for 5 minutes, and as soon as I'd walk into the room, he'd start talking. And I checked your phone--there haven't been any calls to db since Monday."

I'll be damned--the kid's a con man. Turns out he was dialing the number, then hitting "end" instead of "call," and yes, he knows the difference. He's a smart one. Maybe too smart, it seems.

I got him to fess up after his bath. (Seems no kid, not even this crafty little shit, can look his own mother in the eye and lie to her face. Except yours truly, that is.) Then I made him call db while I sat next to him to make sure he really was calling.

The irony of db having accused me for the last year of "monitoring" his and Bob's phone conversations, and it only recently becoming true but only to enforce the calls, is not lost on me. And if it weren't so damned sad that the poor kid hates talking to that fucker on the phone so much he's willing to lie about it, it would be fucking hilarious.

I haven't told db about this and don't intend to. I'm afraid it would only either get Bob in trouble, or give db something else to accuse me of lying about, or both. He missed one phone call over it. Big fucking deal. He still gets to talk to Bob on the phone a helluva lot more than I ever have.

Work is sucking ass today. Another hour and a half of this joy to go. Then I'll go pick up Bob, feed him, and then I think we're going to the pool. Maybe. Depends. Maybe we'll veg out in front of the tv, but that's getting old. I will be so fucking glad when it's finally spring and/or summer and we can leave the house once in a damned while. And Ben dragged me out for Mexican food for lunch, so I have to do step aerobics in my living room tonight after Bob goes to bed. Hooray.

I really don't want to work anymore today, but the alternative is sitting here bored out of my mind for an hour and a half. That's not too appealing, either.

Save me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, that kid is smart! I can't say that I blame him for not wanting to talk to db.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Mitzi Green said...

tell me about it. sometimes i can see the wheels turning in his head and it scares me...

5:21 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Wheezer said...

Definitely smart kid.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home