Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Such a Fine Line Between Stupid and Clever

(**bonus points if you can name the movie that line is from)

I think I'm losing it. Truly. I've felt like I was losing it before, but I'm really beginning to feel like I'm on a downward spiral toward a big, big crash. I feel like I'm being pulled in about six thousand different directions and I can't get my head on straight. I can't remember anything. (This morning, I made coffee--poured it into my little travel mug and everything--and left said travel mug full'o'coffee sitting on the floor next to the front door when I left. DUH...)

I read an article on stress on msnbc today. The author seems to think people get off on trying to be the most stressed-out person they know. Well, sure, there are always people who are going to be into that sort of thing. But I think those of us who are truly stressed to the gills would happily beat the ever-loving shit out of the first asshole who tried to one-up us on the stress-o-meter just to win some personal prize.

I don't think true happiness is derived from an ability to manage stress well. I think true happiness comes from not having a bunch of shit going on all at one time. I'm sure there are some who think I would benefit from therapy, so that I could talk about my stress--but the bottom line is, that would just be one more damned appointment I have to cram into my already-maxed schedule. Yeah, that would alleviate my stress. I don't think so.

And now we have a lobby full of old people and I'm the only one here. Crap.

2 Comments:

Blogger Builder Mama said...

You would have loved the conversation I had with Joey last night - poor guy is sitting captive on the john while I'm going completely berzerk about how I feel like my life is totally out of control and I'm not doing anything particularly well at this point in time (mother, employee, wife, cook, maid, chauffeur, etc.). He really looked like he wished he could become invisible.

I think women in general tend to feel that way a lot. Personally it's because I feel like I can't let anything slip or I'm a bad person/mother/wife/whatever. It's almost like an obsession sometimes.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think true happiness comes from knowing how to deal with stress as it arises. Unfortunately, there isn't a 'cope-with-stress' gene--I think the ability comes from good parenting, common sense, and a ton of Jack Daniels.

Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

By the way, your title's from "Spinal Tap"--one of the classics.

I miss ya!

jravend3

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home