Saturday, November 25, 2006

Gyped-lets and Gravy

Let's just say I will never, ever spend another Turkey Day at Ben's aunt's house. He tried to warn me, but he failed to give me the specifics. Had I known it was a holiday entertaining extravaganza, I would have ordered us a Target turkey dinner and called it a year. There were no fewer than 50 people there, and most of them didn't even know each other. It was, we decided, much like having Thanksgiving dinner at Old Country Buffet--stand in line forever behind a bunch of old people you don't know, stuff yourself, and then get the hell out before anyone notices.

Not to mention the fact Bob doesn't handle crowds of people so well. It kicks him into overdrive, and he becomes the Most Annoying Kid Ever. I swear, into this, into that, running off, throwing tantrums. Classic 2 year old behavior, which would be fine if he weren't 5 years old.

So we spent about 2 hours at the family holiday festivities. And there were no noodles. Maybe it's just a "my family" thing, but homemade egg noodles have been a holiday dinner staple since I've been able to chew solid food. My grandmother was taught to make them by her grandmother, and she taught me herself not long after I graduated from high school. The recipe involves nothing more than salt, pepper, flour, egg and water, but it's surprizingly difficult to get right. Grandma's been gone for almost 11 years now, and my mother's noodles just aren't the same, and there were no noodles at Ben's aunt's house.

So as far as holiday dinner goes, I felt like I got shafted. So tomorrow, I'm cooking a turkey breast, Stove Top, mashed potatoes, gravy, broccoli rice casserole, gravy, rolls and, of course, noodles. Just for the 3 of us.

I think I've finally finished decking the halls. I can't believe after years of collecting various holiday decorations, I've come up with a collection that all seems to go together well. I've always reveled in the comfort of getting out the same Christmas decorations every year. It's all about revisiting memories of people and places that have long been gone. Our tree has a ton of "baby's first Christmas" ornaments, a card my great-grandmother sent me in 1975, a Snoopy ornament my grandma gave me when I was in grade school, and ornaments I bought on clearance right after I told db to get the hell out of my house. The mantle is strewn with garland and lights and candle holders I bought for a holiday dinner a good 10 years ago. And our stockings are hung by the chimney with care...though I'm thinking about getting us all new ones.

I even dragged out the ceramic teddy bear nativity I bought at Hobby Lobby several years ago. People always ask me why I have a nativity when I don't believe, and my standard response is usually "I don't believe in Santa Claus, either, but I've got his likeness all over the place." The truth is, I don't believe in God. I do, however, believe Jesus Christ lived and died (as a political figure), and that his birth and the story thereof plays a major role in the holiday we currently celebrate (no matter the Druid origins)--and for me, holidays are all about tradition.

I will say the tradition of Christmas cards has been made unbearably easy. I'm still dorking out over the fact I can have my mother in law take a photo of us, email it to me, and with that email attachment, I can create and order Christmas cards and have them ready to pick up at Target within 24 hours. At the risk of revealing myself for the old, technologically retarded soul I am--how freakin' cool is that???

I feel like I need another 4 days to recoup from the past 4 days. Being festive is exhausting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Builder Mama said...

Isn't it funny how you get so used to the "regular" stuff you eat at Thanksgiving that any variation is simply unacceptable?

I really missed my mom's stuffing this year. And as much as I like deep-fried turkeys, I'll take an oven-roasted one every time.

I'm jealous that you have your decorations up already. At this rate, we might get arount to it by February. 2008.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Builder Mama said...

Um, that's around to it. I haven't moved back to Jersey.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home