Friday, July 01, 2005

Move, Move, Move Away From Me...

I really need to get a grip.

I have to stop talking to the ex. Rather, I have to stop arguing with him. I need a good line to throw out--almost like a mantra--whenever he tries to start an argument. Something like, "I am not at liberty to discuss that issue at the present time." And I need to practice saying it in a total monotone. Otherwise I'm going to lose my mind sooner than later.

And that would suck, because to quote Timbuk3, the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades. (I don't know where that came from, really. Forgive my chronic 80's references. I can't help it. I'm old.)

Seriously, I have to stop letting him get to me. Hasn't he gotten to me enough over the course of the past 5 years? Isn't it time to stop allowing it? More than time, I'm thinking. So I will not talk to him over the phone. I will not talk to him in person. I will discuss our son, and if the conversation drifts, I will resort to my mantra:

I am not at liberty to discuss that issue at the present time.

And if he continues to harrass me, I will hang up on his ass.

I've decided to file my petition as is--requesting sole legal and physical custody. If that fucker wants to argue with someone, let him argue with the judge. I realize I'm taking a hell of a risk here--I could end up somehow getting screwed in this by allowing it to go to court--but I'm just tired of fighting a no-win battle. I can't do it anymore. Time to let the lawyers fight for me. (Pity I couldn't afford to hire a good lawyer--my budget only allows for my friend who owes me a favor and is a bit of a slacker.)

I'm pissed at my family today. I called my mother last night to firm up plans for the 4th. She informed me that "we all talked about it Saturday night after you left" and the concensus was it would better appease the masses if our family celebrated the 3rd of July, instead. This decision was reached due to the fact "everyone has to work on Tuesday." Well, I don't, dammit. I took the damned day off because I had planned to be 52 miles from home until rather late on Monday. I also don't anticipate my son's return to me until 5pm Sunday. Ugh. As usual, I am left out of the loop because I am not local and therefore, I do not count. They do this to me more often than I like to admit--make plans to suit their own needs and I'm just expected to follow along. Perhaps I should commit to spending even less time with them than I already do.

The good news--I've got a great weekend planned. Ben and I are house-sitting for his parents and buying groceries with his mom's credit card (she left it behind for that purpose, we're not really robbing them blind). By no later than 8pm this evening, I have every intention of parking my ass in a hot tub and nursing a bourbon & diet. God knows I need that.

My cold continues to ravage me. I had thought I was hitting the tail end, until this morning, when I hacked up some very unsavory bits in the shower. It was thoroughly disgusting. My sinuses started to ache when I got to work, so I popped a DayQuil--just one. Then my friend Sean offered me some Mucinex (sp?), which he described as "a very potent expectorant--good shit, man." I fully anticipate a lung sitting on my desk within the hour. Hopefully it won't loosen things up that much.

Ben's been looking for rental houses in the area we hope to live in. I think he's jumping the gun a bit, since I can't technically move in anywhere until mid-August at the earliest, but the thought of having only 30 days to find a suitable domicile has him, I feel, a little freaked. Gotta love "lease roulette." Give notice at your current residence and hope like hell another one falls in your lap in 30 days or less. That's sort of why I ended up in my current apartment--I figured I was in better shape planning to move into a place with multiple units and a little flexibility, given I was selling a house, and the instability of the real estate market. I'm not a gambling woman. That said, I really don't see us ending up homeless. I think we could easily give it another 3-4 weeks before we start looking in earnest. One of my coworkers tipped me off to a lakefront house for rent yesterday, 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, fenced yard, all appliances, pets okay, hardwoods AND carpet, laundry room, damn, it's a kick ass house. $1000/mo, which is slightly more than we wanted to pay, but still affordable for the two of us. I want that damned house. But I imagine the owner of that damned house wants to rent that damned house sooner than 8/15, so it may not happen. But I will cross my fingers anyway.

12:40 pm: the idiot sent me an email this morning, just before I left for lunch, stating the following nonsense:

If you would like something you should ask for the most people do. I can't read your mind, so if you would like me to pay (the boy's) medical insurance you should ask me and not tell me what I am going to do. I just think that would be the adult thing to do. How does that sound to you.

I responded:

works for me.
i would like you to pay half of (the boy's) medical insurance premium, which is currently $86/mo. half of that would be $43 and it is paid on the 1st of each month.
i will call to talk to (the boy) at 7:00 tonight. please let me know what telephone number i can reach you at.


His reply:

Did you ever think about anyone but yourself. What about what (the boy) or I would like. The next time you would like something you should stop and think about how it will affect others around you.

And my final answer:

i think (the boy) would very much like to have health insurance so that he has ready access to his prescription medication and medical care in the event he is sick or in an accident. i think, given your adamant stance you are (his) father and entitled to equal parentage, you would want to contribute to that. i think (his) health care providers would like to know they will be paid for their services. that said, i have obviously given thought to everyone involved.

The man is mental. Completely, utterly, irrevocably mental.

And I chose to breed with him. What, pray tell, does that make me?

I suppose I should go work, given I won't be back here until Wednesday. To all 2 or 3 of you who read this drivel, I offer this--have a happy, safe and non-mental independence day. may you somehow find your own independence in honor of our genocidal founding fathers. peace out, yo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home