Sunday, December 30, 2007

You Can't Fix Crazy

But I'm hoping you can fix fat.

I really want to get back to the weight I was--well, if not when we met, at least the weight I was when Ben and I married. I go shopping and get all wistful looking at the skinny-ass manequins and remembering back when I, too, had a discernable waist. I'm all motivated and stuff and raring to go.

Oh, yeah, but I'm pregnant, and won't be able to realistically consider a weight loss program until at least early June.



I just hope I don't lose my motivation between now and then.

I went to NY&Co. today instead of "Marshmallow Kisses." For starters, I just couldn't get past the stupid name, and it's common knowledge that, if your shop has a name that gay, it's probably full of completely over-priced shit. NY&Co. didn't disappoint. I found a lot of sweaters on sale for $14.99 or less, and a large or XL covers my ever-expanding belly quite nicely. I walked out with four sweaters, a seriously fuzzy zip-front warmup jacket, and a knit top for less than $80 (on the mall gift card, which saved me another 10%, thank you). And none of them have ruffles, or big ass bows, or stupid gathered puckered shoulders or sleeves--they're normal clothes. Maternity wear designers, take note--just because we're having babies doesn't mean we want to dress like babies. Maybe when we were 25 and being knocked up was cute. After 30, the last thing you want to dress up like is a freakin' doll.

I not only walked out with some good scores, I walked out with a serious desire to be thin again. Not thin compared to what I am currently--thin compared to what I was when Moosebaby was conceived in the first place. Thin compared to what I will likely be after Moosebaby's arrival. And even though I have several months left before I can start working toward that goal in earnest, I think there are a few measures I can take in the meantime that will steer me in the right direction:

1. Start eating less. This is not a problem lately, as my stomach appears to have been squished up somewhere between my lungs and I just don't have the capacity I used to. I'm probably eating half my "usual" portions or less, and considering I could put it away, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm just hoping I'll get used to eating less, and won't return to my competitive-eating-quality ways once my stomach returns to its rightful place.

2. Start moving more. Duh. This will, of course, be easier once the stupid community center opens (promised in January) because I live in Missouri and I'll be damned if I'll be caught walking around outside when it's less than 60 degrees out. I'm looking forward to a nice, heated, indoor track. And treadmills. And bikes. And a big (indoor) pool, complete with 8 lap lanes. Nothing beats swimming when you're a whale. Anyway, until it opens, I have a yoga mat and I know how to use it. I also have a step aerobics DVD which I can use without the step and probably not kill myself.

3. Do the homework. I've been investigating various weight-loss programs, because the one I dropped 20 pounds with 3 years ago involved replacing meals with packs of cigarettes. (Worked like a charm, but from what I've seen on tv, so does crack, and I don't plan on taking that up, either.) So far Weight Watchers comes out on top with the lowest cost and highest accolades, but I kind of like the idea of someone just sending me food and saying "this is what you can eat, now put it in your mouth and shut up."

So I guess those are my non-New Years' Resolutions for 2008. Don't laugh--2007's was "quit smoking," and I haven't had a cigarette in over a year now. (Well, there was that one at the awful wedding in September, but the way I see it, if you don't remember doing it, it never happened. So there. Besides, the fact my heart was pumping pure alcohol at that point totally cancels out the nicotine.)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Builder Mama said...

It's been a year since you quit smoking? Congrats - it's tough to quit. Of course you know that already!

WW is definitely the way to go in terms of learning to eat food you find out in the real world. I totally get the pre-packaged food diets too (and damn would that be easy because WW can be kind of cumbersome at first), but you don't want to eat that shit the rest of your life, right?

4:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home